Argentina & Chile --- November 2008--- San Pedro de Atacama to Susques (Argentina) --- 320km

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Mike P
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Re: Argentina & Chile --- November 2008--- San Pedro de Atacama to Susques (Argentina) --- 320km

Post by Mike P »

Volcano with exposed plug.
[attachment 17572 ffffff1.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEAAQDAwMDAwQDAwQGBAMEBgcFBAQFBwgGBgcGBggKCAkJCQkICgoMDAwMDAoMDA0NDAwRERERERQUFBQUFBQ
2wCEAAQDAwMDAwQDAwQGBAMEBgcFBAQFBwgGBgcGBggKCAkJCQkICgoMDAwMDAoMDA0NDAwRERERERQUFBQUFBQ (95.62 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Argentina & Chile --- November 2008--- San Pedro de Atacama to Susques (Argentina) --- 320km

Post by Liz M »

Great shots again. The scenery is fantastic and I have really enjoyed your pictures. Then there are the plants AND the wild life, particularly the birds. Thanks again for sharing your experiences with us.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
David_L
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by David_L »

This is pretty tough country, so this must be one tough cyclist we are about to pass! ::o

[attachment 17575 Jama_Pass8.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEAAQDAwMDAwQDAwQGBAQEBgcFBAQFBwgHBwcHBwgLCAkJCQkICws
2wCEAAQDAwMDAwQDAwQGBAQEBgcFBAQFBwgHBwcHBwgLCAkJCQkICws (99.18 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Once again there were some fantastic colours in the hills. Alternating bands of colour caused by different mimerals especially iron and copper.

[attachment 17576 Jama_Pass5.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEAAYEBAQFBAYFBQYJBgUGCQoIBgYICgwKCgoKCgwPDAwMDAwMDww
2wCEAAYEBAQFBAYFBQYJBgUGCQoIBgYICgwKCgoKCgwPDAwMDAwMDww (97.89 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
David

Bromley Branch
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

We saw quite a few guanacos/vicuna in the distance, but these were close enoug for a decent shot from the van. I find it difficult to separate these two species, but again I tend to think these are vicuna. Maybe someone who knows better will correct.

[attachment 17577 vicunas.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEAAoHBwcIBwoICAoOCQgJDhENCgoNERQQEBEQEBQTDxEQEBEPExMXFxkXFxMeHiAgHh4sKysrLDExMTExMTExMTEBCwkJCwwLDQsLDREODg4RFA4ODg4UFxAQERAQFx4WExMTExYeGx0ZGRkdGyEhHh4
2wCEAAoHBwcIBwoICAoOCQgJDhENCgoNERQQEBEQEBQTDxEQEBEPExMXFxkXFxMeHiAgHh4sKysrLDExMTExMTExMTEBCwkJCwwLDQsLDREODg4RFA4ODg4UFxAQERAQFx4WExMTExYeGx0ZGRkdGyEhHh4 (99.61 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
David

Bromley Branch
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

When we arrived at our wayside hotel outside Susques it was getting into the evening and the light was very mellow. The hotel, obviously designed to cater for the passing lorry and tourist trade on this route into Argentina, seemed very surprised to see us. Not that it was full or anything, quite the contrary, but Willy's email to the head office of the chain that ran this hotel, had apparently not passed it on to this far flung outpost. This is the view out of our hotel window as the light faded.

[attachment 17578 sunset.jpg]
Attachments
bAIQABAMDAwMDBAMDBAYEBAQGBwUEBAUHCAcHBwcHCAsICQkJCQgLCwwMDAwMCw0NDg4NDRMSEhITFRUVFRUVFRUVFQEFBQUJCAkQCwsQFA4ODhQVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRU
bAIQABAMDAwMDBAMDBAYEBAQGBwUEBAUHCAcHBwcHCAsICQkJCQgLCwwMDAwMCw0NDg4NDRMSEhITFRUVFRUVFRUVFQEFBQUJCAkQCwsQFA4ODhQVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRU (99.17 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
David

Bromley Branch
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

It gets cold at night out in the desert and this fine old wood burning stove in the corridor was soon lit by the staff. We also needed heating in the bedroom. I would guess the temperature fell close to or below freezing, though of course the air was very dry. This spot was very high, around 4000m and with the dry air it was an uncomfortable night for anyone sensitive to the altitude.

[attachment 17579 stove.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEAAgGBgYGBggGBggMCAcIDA4KCAgKDhANDQ4NDRARDA4NDQ4MEQ8SExQTEg8YGBoaGBgjIiIiIycnJycnJycnJycBCQgICQoJCwkJCw4LDQsOEQ4ODg4REw0NDg0NExgRDw8PDxEYFhcUFBQXFhoaGBg
2wCEAAgGBgYGBggGBggMCAcIDA4KCAgKDhANDQ4NDRARDA4NDQ4MEQ8SExQTEg8YGBoaGBgjIiIiIycnJycnJycnJycBCQgICQoJCwkJCw4LDQsOEQ4ODg4REw0NDg0NExgRDw8PDxEYFhcUFBQXFhoaGBg (84.82 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
David

Bromley Branch
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I wouldn't want to be that cyclist!
Cheshire, UK
FlorentG
Registered Guest

Post by FlorentG »

iann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wouldn't want to be that cyclist!

I would want to be that cyclist! :D
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

I was going to point out that T. atacamensis is cold hardy and could live in the UK, T. pasacana is now recognised as a subspecies of T. atacamensis under the Echinopsis genus I believe. I'd imagine if you had the space and time you could grow one like that in the UK and get it to flower although I don't know what size!

Then I noticed it was Darryl asking about them and I guess you do not have to worry about such trivial things as cold hardiness where you live anyway ;)