Argentina & Chile November 2008 - Day 10 - Uquia to La Quia

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Mike P
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Argentina & Chile November 2008 - Day 10 - Uquia to La Quia

Post by Mike P »

The hotel we stayed at in Uquia was really, really, charming and the owner was very helpful. I sepnt another sleepless night and by morning was completly breathless and feeling quite dizzy.
The lady of the house consulted with Willy and prescribed 'coca tea' as a restorative. I duly sipped this and to my suprise.........my tongue went slightly numb ...........and I felt just as bad.
Anyway this is the courtyard of the hotel.
aa1.jpg
aa1.jpg (95.9 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
There were sevaral potted cacti including a monster T. molinensis (overwatered Willy noted) but I failed to photograph them.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Mike P
BCSS Member

Re: Argentina & Chile November 2008 - Day 10 - Uquia to La

Post by Mike P »

And a shot of the church.
[attachment 18234 a1.jpg]
Willy had by now decided that we would move on to the next town (Humahuaca) where there was a hospital I could visit to see if anything could be done for my breathing difficulties.
We parked the van outside and Willy accompanied me in as interpreter. As we went through the doors of the slightly run down build he joked that as this was a third world hospital I should decide now which of my organs I needed least.....
The doctor took one look at me and administered oxygen which was a wonderful relief, followed by a nebuliser (I was used to these as both my children have asthma) and finally a shot of steroids (not given in the arm as you would hope!).
After this the doctor advised that going back up to altitude would be a very poor idea and in any case I should come back at lunchtime to ensure that my blood oxygen level was acceptable. Willy found me a nice hotel and I was left behind to recover.......
8A
8A (76.29 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Mike P
BCSS Member

Post by Mike P »

For around £25 what I had was afamily room (4 beds to choose from) and a bathroom which was larger than some of the rooms we stayed in.....the restaurant was wonderful and sported two oxygen cylinders in the corner....well prepared anyway.
2wCEAAMCAgICAgMCAgMEAwIDBAUEAwMEBQYFBQUFBQYIBgcGBgcGCAgJCQoJCQgMDAwMDAwNDQ0NDQ8PDw8PDw8
2wCEAAMCAgICAgMCAgMEAwIDBAUEAwMEBQYFBQUFBQYIBgcGBgcGCAgJCQoJCQgMDAwMDAwNDQ0NDQ8PDw8PDw8 (86.48 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
As you can see the end wall had a mosaic of the coloured hills.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Mike P
BCSS Member

Post by Mike P »

I was by now compleyely exhausted having had little sleep for three nights and after going back to the hospital for a check up -( to find that the morning doctor had left for the day .....using my Spanish phrase book to ask for a check on my blood/oxygen levels was interesting but eventually they got the idea and pronunced that I was fine) I went to bed and fell into a deep sleep for nine hours.
Note the use of cactus wood for the lamp shade and the bed head.
[attachment 18236 aaaa1.jpg]
So its over to David for day 10 as my involvement in it ends here. I'll be back bright and early on day 11 for a walk around the town whilst I waited to be collected.
2wCEAAMCAgICAgMCAgMEAwIDBAUEAwMEBQYFBQUFBQYIBgcGBgcGCAgJCQoJCQgMDAwMDAwNDQ0NDQ8PDw8PDw8
2wCEAAMCAgICAgMCAgMEAwIDBAUEAwMEBQYFBQUFBQYIBgcGBgcGCAgJCQoJCQgMDAwMDAwNDQ0NDQ8PDw8PDw8 (95.88 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
David_L
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Argentina & Chile November 2008 - Day 10 - Uquia to La Quiaca - 200km

Post by David_L »

I felt really very sorry for Mike. Not only was he feeling terrible, and clearly needing oxygen and medical attention, but he was going to miss out on a day and a bit of cactus hunting because of his enforced rest in the hotel. I think he coped with the whole experience including being ill by himself in a place where nobody spoke English, extremely well.
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

To pick up the story. The place where we stayed, the Hostal de Uquia was a delightful place in a tiny village. The lady who ran it was very caring and concerned about Mike. This pictures shows the Hostal with our van outside, the local craft shop opening and the school rush Uquia style.

2wCEAAoHBwcHBwoHBwoOCQgJDhAMCgoMEBMPDxAPDxMSDhAPDxAOEhIVFhcWFRIdHR8fHR0pKSkpKS8vLy8vLy8vLy8BCgkJCgsKDQsLDRANDg0QFA4ODg4UFw8PEQ8PFx0VEhISEhUdGhwXFxccGiAgHR0
2wCEAAoHBwcHBwoHBwoOCQgJDhAMCgoMEBMPDxAPDxMSDhAPDxAOEhIVFhcWFRIdHR8fHR0pKSkpKS8vLy8vLy8vLy8BCgkJCgsKDQsLDRANDg0QFA4ODg4UFw8PEQ8PFx0VEhISEhUdGhwXFxccGiAgHR0 (98.63 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
David

Bromley Branch
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Another view of the craft shop. Clearly this little village was (or at least hoped to be) on the tourist route up the valley.
2wCEAAgGBgYGBggGBggMCAcIDA4KCAgKDhANDQ4NDRARDA4NDQ4MEQ8SExQTEg8YGBoaGBgjIiIiIycnJycnJycnJycBCQgICQoJCwkJCw4LDQsOEQ4ODg4REw0NDg0NExgRDw8PDxEYFhcUFBQXFhoaGBg
2wCEAAgGBgYGBggGBggMCAcIDA4KCAgKDhANDQ4NDRARDA4NDQ4MEQ8SExQTEg8YGBoaGBgjIiIiIycnJycnJycnJycBCQgICQoJCwkJCw4LDQsOEQ4ODg4REw0NDg0NExgRDw8PDxEYFhcUFBQXFhoaGBg (94.75 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
David

Bromley Branch
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

In the town square there was a nice planting of Trichocereus pasacana in full flower and very popular with the local bees.

[attachment 18251 cactus_flower_bees2.jpg]
Attachments
bAIQABgQEBAQEBgQEBggFBQUICgcGBgcKCwkJCgkJCw4LDAwMDAsODA0NDg0NDBEREhIRERkYGBgZHBwcHBwcHBwcHAEGBgYLCgsVDg4VFxMQExccHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBw
bAIQABgQEBAQEBgQEBggFBQUICgcGBgcKCwkJCgkJCw4LDAwMDAsODA0NDg0NDBEREhIRERkYGBgZHBwcHBwcHBwcHAEGBgYLCgsVDg4VFxMQExccHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBw (98.37 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
David

Bromley Branch
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Can't resist another close up of that. One of the memorable images of the trip for me.

[attachment 18252 cactus_flower_with_bees.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEAAcFBQUFBQcFBQcKBwYHCgwJBwcJDA4LCwwLCw4RDAwMDAwMEQ4QEREREA4VFRcXFRUeHh4eHiIiIiIiIiIiIiIBBwgIDg0OGhISGh0XFBcdIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiI
2wCEAAcFBQUFBQcFBQcKBwYHCgwJBwcJDA4LCwwLCw4RDAwMDAwMEQ4QEREREA4VFRcXFRUeHh4eHiIiIiIiIiIiIiIBBwgIDg0OGhISGh0XFBcdIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiI (99.38 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
David

Bromley Branch
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Next we drove as quickly as possible to the main town of the valley, Humahuaca which was fortunately not far away and found the town health clinic. Here we are outside, the white building is the clinic.

[attachment 18253 clinic.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEAAYEBAQFBAYFBQYJBgUGCQoIBgYICgwKCgoKCgwPDAwMDAwMDww
2wCEAAYEBAQFBAYFBQYJBgUGCQoIBgYICgwKCgoKCgwPDAwMDAwMDww (98.22 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
David

Bromley Branch