Arizona Habitat #2: Near Wickenburg

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Arizona Habitat #2: Near Wickenburg

Post by CoronaCactus »

Great photos, Vic!
Small world, eh? ;)

I'll take all the help i can get to locate plants, thanks. I knew we should have gone just little bit farther north or taken a left instead of a right...you know how it goes. So close! :tweed:

Again, small world...We plan to do a small tour from here up to Searchlight (Maybe go through the Mojave Preserve) down to laughlin and onto to Kingman and Flagstaff. Thats as far as the plan has gotten for now. 8-)
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com

Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Nice work Darryl
I love the O. phaeacantha with the 'wild' spination.
Thanks for sharing your photos.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Yeah small world for sure Darryl. Like you say, unless you know where exactly to look, it's liking trying to find a needle in a haystack and a very big haystack at that. Bob and myself originally came across a couple of Echinomastus by accident, just happened to stop the car to look at some Feros and had a walk along the road, the plants we found were either dead or extremely dessicated. I'm sure there's more to be found along highway 93, just got to be lucky to stop in the right place. Those pictured above were in a small area and I didn't find anymore walking both south and north of the area for several hundred yards. Of course a great deal of the land is fenced off, so unless you climb over or squeeze through, the area to explore is greatly reduced. You can't miss the Echinomastus in Searchlight, plenty of plants well spread out from small seedlings to some fairly big plants, you'll be tripping over them;)

I've briefly visited the Mojave Preserve a couple of times from the Baker side and a little further along the I15 at Halloran Springs, well worth visiting, some very nice Echinocereus, Ferocactus cylindraceus and Echinocactus polycephalus plus lots of Opuntias/UFOs.

Let me know when you're heading out again and I'll give you more precise details including GPS.
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by CoronaCactus »

Yes, luck has a lot to do with hunting cacti in habitat ;) I don't have a problem crossing a fence or 2, it's finding a good place for the car that usually posses an issue.

I think our next time out will be next month, March :) There will probably be multiple tours of the same route to catch all the different plants in bloom. Next year i'll pick a different route for different plants!

Your info and GPS is greatly appreciated, cheers!
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com