Habitat: Yucca, AZ May 2011

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Habitat: Yucca, AZ May 2011

Post by CoronaCactus »

My wife and i hit the road for memorial day weekend for some habitat adventures. We hung out with friends in Tuscon Friday and Saturday and then headed up to Yucca. Our friend Jan has a beautiful parcel of 40 acres of habitat. We hiked his property the whole day. Amazing!

Actually, this was our very first habitat viewing of an Agave...we probably had seen them before, just never paid attention i guess ;)

I've put up 5 photos for thread viewing, but The full photo gallery is located here:

Yucca, AZ May 2011

Agave deserti

There's just no escape!
Even before we could get out of the car, we'd been tagged!

Ferocactus cylindraceus

Mammillaria grahamii

Mammillaria tetrancistra
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com

Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Habitat: Yucca, AZ May 2011

Post by Diane »

Oooh, Darryl, what a lucky ol' fella you are!! (and your friends are REALLY lucky if they own land like that!)

Looks as though you had a wonderful time out there, thanks for sharing your beautiful pics with us. The plants look to be in very good shape - have the rains been good this year?

I was also happy to see the Mamm tetrancistra, and not looking too different to my grafted plant.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
sue46
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by sue46 »

Yet again, brillant. That small plant that hitched a ride on the car - did it have to be returned to the wild? The Agave is stunning - perfect plant (tu)
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest

Post by CoronaCactus »

Thanks, glad you enjoy!
I do believe the area did get some good rain, but did not get hit with the really cold spell that Tuscon got. I made a similar comment on how well the Echinocereus flowered and fruited. Very tasty btw ;)

Yes, the hitchhiker cholla was "kicked" back into habitat :mrgreen: We could have kept it, as our friend owns the land, but we have enough already!
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com

Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Hi, I loved the photos of your travels, there is no doubt that seeing plants in habitat is the best way to see them. Amazing variation in the spination of the same species-no wonder there is so much confusion and discussion here. I have seen cacti growing in inhospitable places but never Agaves, it just goes to show what you can learn by travelling and exploring. I'm looking forward to the next two days. Thanks for showing us around.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.