Popotillo picture

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Popotillo picture

Post by Phil Hocking »

I found this picture in a charity shop at the weekend and was wondering if anyone had come across such pictures when travelling in Mexico or New Mexico. I have never come across this technique before and a bit of internet research shows that it is a kind of straw marquetry called popotillo. I think it is a superb picture and there is what looks like a cactus on the left hand side. I haven't travelled in cactus country myself but those of you that do might like to look out for similar items.

I can recommend looking at Paul in Essex's Mexico trip photos elsewhere on this page. Fantastic stuff Paul!
Mexican picture_2a.jpg
Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Popotillo picture

Post by Paul in Essex »

Thank you Phil.

No, I haven't encountered such a thing - that is rather nice! I like the stylised form of picture - almost art deco, which was wholeheartedly embraced by the Mexican art world (Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo et al). I will keep my eyes peeled next time!
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Lithos »

Hi Phil
I've seen something similar in the churches in Guanajuato, Mex. The walls are smothered in 'retablos' small pictures usually painted on tin. Basically asking for good luck, good health, new car/house/child/money etc.etc. in what we would describe as a nieve pictorial style. Sometimes they look a little like this - produced by someone more skilled for a fee - a little like having your caricature sketched in Paris or London. What I do have somewhere are some embroideries very similar, made by Huichol Indians - I'll try find them and post a few pictures
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

That would be good Phil. I can see how something similar could be done with stitching. A friend is working on a museum textile project at work and there is some amazing work collected worldwide by someone in the early 20th century.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.