My Mexico adventures

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Amante
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: My Mexico adventures

Post by Amante »

Lophocereus schottii, Empalme, Sonora
Lophocereus schottii, Empalme, Sonora
Mammillaria swinglei in flower. Notice the yellow flower which is different from that described for M. sheldonii. Enpalme, Sonora
Mammillaria swinglei in flower. Notice the yellow flower which is different from that described for M. sheldonii. Enpalme, Sonora
Ferocactus emoryi (convillei), Producing fruit when quite young, unless it is another species, Enpalme, Guaymas
Ferocactus emoryi (convillei), Producing fruit when quite young, unless it is another species, Enpalme, Guaymas
Amante
BCSS Member

Post by Amante »

As the Guaymas-Baja ferry was still stranded we decided to enter Baja California by land which meant we had to travel north to Sonoyta first. Here we found: Mammillaria grahamii (microcarpa), Stenocereus thurberi, Carnegea gigantea and Echinocereus ewngelmannii, Ferocactus wislizenii and a Cylindropuntia sp.
Carnegea gigantea marching up a hill while the Cylindropuntia stand guard, Sonoyta, Sonora
Carnegea gigantea marching up a hill while the Cylindropuntia stand guard, Sonoyta, Sonora
In front of an unusual Carnegea gigantea, Notice also Fouquieria splendens (Ocotillo) in the foreground, Sonoyta, Sonora
In front of an unusual Carnegea gigantea, Notice also Fouquieria splendens (Ocotillo) in the foreground, Sonoyta, Sonora
Mammillaria grahamii (microcarpa), Sonoyta, Sonora
Mammillaria grahamii (microcarpa), Sonoyta, Sonora
Mammillaria grahamii (microcarpa) in flower, Sonoyta, Sonora
Mammillaria grahamii (microcarpa) in flower, Sonoyta, Sonora
Stenocereus thurberi known by the common name organ pipe, Sonoyta, Sonora
Stenocereus thurberi known by the common name organ pipe, Sonoyta, Sonora
Amante
BCSS Member

Post by Amante »

Echinocereus engelmannii ssp nicholii, Sonoyta, Sonora
Echinocereus engelmannii ssp nicholii, Sonoyta, Sonora
Amante
BCSS Member

Post by Amante »

On 19 September we arrived at the town of San Felipe, North Baja California. Sleeping outside the bus station till the sun rose and we could see the surroundings. Having taken care of our luggage we proceeded towards the promising mountains. It is all sandy here, and progress is slow and to make matters worse there are lots of animal tunnels in the sand that tend to collapse under one's feet.

The only cactus we found was Lophocereus schottii and very unusual. To begin with, they are diminutive and some had spiral shoots (var. spiralis). According to the book; The Great Cacti by David Yetman, Lophocereus do not reach this far North in Baja California. 5 ribbed sinitas (as they are locally called) are less common. :roll: There is a spiral form known also from South Baja and it is also reported to be short. After walking for about 6km we finally reached the mountains which turned out to be solid granite and not a speck of dust for plants to have a root-hold on them. The only other succulents on the mountain base were the Fouquieria (Ocotillo).
San Felipe, North Baja California
San Felipe, North Baja California
Spiral Lophocereus schottii, San Felipe, North Baja Califonia
Spiral Lophocereus schottii, San Felipe, North Baja Califonia
Lophocereus schottii, San Felipe, Baja California North.
Lophocereus schottii, San Felipe, Baja California North.
The flower of L. schottii, Baja California, North.
The flower of L. schottii, Baja California, North.
Last edited by Amante on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

I love the spiral Loph :!: :mrgreen:
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

That spiral is something cool. It reminds me of tall chimeys on chemical plants, which I guess have the spiral struts to reinforce and funnel away the wind. At least I always assumed so.

I wonder whether spiral spines are there for strength, or to channel away the wind, or both? Does anyone know this?
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Amante
BCSS Member

Post by Amante »

Not sure if spiral stems has any natural scope, Julie. I guess it is just an aberration like the crests and the monstrose forms. If it had any advantage there would be many of them who would survive by natural selection and thus create a new species.

Our next stop was San Matias which is about half way between San Felipe and Ensenada. If San Matias lacked any cacti and other succulent diversity, San Felipe more than made up for it. For here is a veritable natural garden with hundreds of Ferocactus cylindraceus, (red and yellow spines and 'tortulispinus forms') Several species of Cylindropuntia and Opuntia, Echinocereus engelmannii, Mammillaria dioica, two species of Dudleya and Agave. It is one of those places that is closest to heaven for a cactophile. It makes you want to linger and linger and wonder what the next hill would disclose.
San Matias, Baja California North.
San Matias, Baja California North.
Attachments
Cylindropuntia bigelovii, not a species to temper with San Matias, BCN
Cylindropuntia bigelovii, not a species to temper with San Matias, BCN
Ferocactus cylindraceus and also visible Echinocereus engelmannii and Opuntia species, San Matias, BCN
Ferocactus cylindraceus and also visible Echinocereus engelmannii and Opuntia species, San Matias, BCN
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Hi Amante, Love the Cylindropuntia (but then I would!!!!).
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Amante
BCSS Member

Post by Amante »

More Cylindropuntia. These were on the flat area between two hills. San Matias, BCN.
More Cylindropuntia. These were on the flat area between two hills. San Matias, BCN.
Would be much appreciated if anyone can tell me what species this Dudleya is?
Would be much appreciated if anyone can tell me what species this Dudleya is?
A rare cristate Agave inflorescence.
A rare cristate Agave inflorescence.
A monstrose Ferocactus cylindraceus. The flowers were all green whereas species description calls for yellow flower.
A monstrose Ferocactus cylindraceus. The flowers were all green whereas species description calls for yellow flower.
The picture speaks for itself. San Matias, BCN
The picture speaks for itself. San Matias, BCN
Amante
BCSS Member

Post by Amante »

Echinocereus engelmannii.
Echinocereus engelmannii.
Mammillaria dioica.
Mammillaria dioica.