Paintings from Ecuador

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Paintings from Ecuador

Post by Phil Hocking »

Whilst I haven't been there, someone who donates to my local charity shop has. I bought these three little paintings yesterday and wondered where they came from. Obviously South American they are all signed Hugo Licta. I searched online and found a reference to him here

http://www.eluniverso.com/2002/10/13/00 ... 16ACA.html

I don't know if it is the same man - Hugo Licta might be as common as John Smith there, but his address, given as Comuna Tiguayahuartoa, Cotopaxi, suggests it might be. Cotopaxi is a large volcano in Ecuador that frequently features in their paintings (as it does in all three of these). The paintings are done on sheepskin, stretched over a small wooden frame (Balsa wood?). They are smaller than postcard size.
Cotopaxi paintings
Cotopaxi paintings
At least one cactus grows in Ecuador, namely Trichocereus pachanoi or San Pedro as it is known locally. Do you know of others? Have you travelled there? These paintings are so well done considering they are just done for the tourist trade.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
renesamek
BCSS Member
Branch: WALTHAM FOREST
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Paintings from Ecuador

Post by renesamek »

Dear Phil,
there are quite a few cacti growing in Ecuador:
Armatocereus (brevispinus, cartwrightianus, godingianus, matucanensis)
Cereus (aff. hexagonus)
Borzicactus/Cleistocactus (icosagonus, leonensis, sepium + varieties)
Disocactus (amazonicus, ramulosus)
Echinopsis/Trichocereus (pachanoi)
Epiphyllum (colombiense, phyllanthus, rubrocoronatum, thomasianum)
Espostoa (frutescens, lanata)
Hylocereus (polyrhizus)
Melocactus (bellavistensis, peruvianus)
Monvillea (diffusa)
Opuntia (tunicata, cylindrica, subulata, pubescens, bakeri, quitensis, aequatorialis, dillenii, ficus-indica, soederstromiana)
Pereskia (aculeata)
Pilosocereus (tweedyanus)
Rhipsalis (baccifera, kirbergii, micrantha, occidentalis)
Selenicereus (megalanthus, wittii)
Weberocereus (rosei)

Search for the booklet (80 pages) Flora of Ecuador, part 45. Cactaceae, by Jens E. Madsen. Published in 1989 in Denmark or Sweden.

I have been searching for most of these cacti for a number of years withou any success, no nursery seems to have them.

Best regards, Rene Samek
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Hi Rene
That's a good long list of plants. I only have Opuntia subulata and Trichocereus pachanoi although not entirely certain about the latter. People on this forum would be only too willing to help you get some of them if you post the list in the Wants part of the forum. I am not after specifically Ecuadorian plants but would love some more art work. It would be an amazing place to visit. Perhaps when I retire, if I live that long.
Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Hi Phil, I think the paintings have such charm, it would be impossible to resist buying them. Live for your dreams and plan the trip. If it is the only interesting thing you did in retirement, it would be a wonderful experience and people here would love it if you were to share it with us.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.