La Gomera one of the gems of the Canary Islands

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: La Gomera one of the gems of the Canary Islands

Post by Liz M »

The diversity is, of course, what makes it such a special place. Travelling from Santiago we usually went through Alajero and that lead to the National Park and various other places. The road to Alajero was through old abandoned terraces and did not have a huge variety of plants, but was interesting for its views and flocks of Barbary partridges and seed eating birds, including Trumpeter finches. Beyond Alajero there were some beautiful mountains and landscapes and a greater variety of plant life and bird life. There were some fantastic narrow roads, which we unfortunately did not take, down to some small and interesting villages and the coast. Worthy of more exploration, especially with a four by four. We visited the San Sebastian region but found it bare and with a lot of abandoned new building, so were glad to go back to the west and the National Park.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Superb, Liz! Thanks for sharing. I've just returned from a (mainly) wet trip to Devon, so was great to see some warmer climes!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Wonderful photos, Liz. You found some amazing plants, and some amazing landscapes and rock formations!

A treat to see pic upon pic of SUCCULENTS - makes a nice change from pic upon pic of cacti! :lol:
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

Thanks Julie, I have every intention of going back to the Canarias, there are different species indigenous to each island and a certain amount of overlapping. I'm hoping to go back next year and see more.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

That was excellent Liz.

I have to say that Aeoniums in habitat look so much better than in cultivation.

No Ceropegias on La Gomera?
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

Hi Mike, no if there were I did not see them.
As for Aeoniums, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think mine look great.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

I can heartily recommend a visit to La Palma. Similarly small and unspoilt it also has a vast range of habitats with a wide variety of species. Also the biggest wild population of dragon trees anywhere to which there is a way-marked path so you can walk through them. Only two flights a week from the UK - Gatwick or Manchester on a Friday. The island gets just 120,000 visitors a year!! I went for the first time last September and returned in May this year. Lovely. I'll dig out a few pictures if I get time later and start another thread, save hijacking this one.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.