Jardin de Cactus, Lanzarote

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Jardin de Cactus, Lanzarote

Post by Paul in Essex »

Hi John

Do you live on La Palma? I visited before in November and May, so January will be interesting. This time around I am there because the British Pteridological Society are having an informal meeting, based in Los Cancajos but travelling around to see native ferns, mainly. In view of that I think I had already surmised that wet weather gear is a must!! Having said that, I will be leading a small group of succulent insurgents off to Las Tricias and the dragon trees.. :grin:

Edit - here is alink to another forum where I posted some pics of these beautiful dragons - http://www.xericworld.com/forums/showth ... ight=palma
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
John Dos
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by John Dos »

Not la Palma, but Gran Canaria. The Dragons are plenty with fruit now, like orange-red cherry-tomatoes...! :grin: There are very few wild Dragons still growing in the North and Center of Gran Canaria:
Drago.JPG
Not the best photo, sorry. But I've never seen a group branching like those in La Palma; they are known for it.
The 'new' Dracea tamaranae is best seen in the BG Viera y Clavijo (Jardín Canario), looks like D. draco.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

I am visiting Gran Canaria soon, so will make a point of heading that way! Thanks for the heads up.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

You have all whetted my appetite for going back to the Canary Islands, I would love to go to La Palma, nearly got there once. A must for the coming year.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.