The Ebro delta and mountains of southern Spain

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

The Ebro delta and mountains of southern Spain

Post by Liz M »

I have just got back from a few days in Spain. Although primarily a holiday and birdwatching trip, I always keep my eyes open for Cacti and Succulents, as these are frequently grown there.
One day whilst driving in the mountains, west of Tortosa, we came along a road which went over a barranca, a sunken dried up river bed. I first noticed the Opuntia fruits, so got out to take a picture, on exploring I also found several other plants of a non-native variety. These were all within a few feet of each other and I found their proximity and variety quite amazing.
This is the fruiting Opuntia, you can see why it is growing all over Spain.
IMG_3138.10001.jpg
Then there was this, another Opuntia, in flower
IMG_3130.10001_1.jpg
Then there was another one, also in flower
IMG_3136.10001.jpg
Then I found this healthy Aloe, which had been in flower, obviously another escape.
IMG_3141.10001.jpg
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Liz M
BCSS Member

Re: The Ebro delta and mountains of southern Spain

Post by Liz M »

We were in the Ebro delta, which is a wonderful strange place, primarily used for rice production, flat and water-logged and a haven for all sorts of water-birds and others on migration. Whilst we were there we stopped for lunch at a small restaurant near Riumar, it was a quiet place and I noticed a few pots, so went to investigate. Wow, what a collection of succulents this lady had and so many huge and beautiful pots. Here is a sample.
This is the thing I first noticed
IMG_3086.10001.jpg
I wish mine looked like this
IMG_3087.10001.jpg
A bit weedy but still a good potful
IMG_3088.10001.jpg
IMG_3089.10001.jpg
IMG_3090.10001.jpg
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

A few more, I don't know what this is but it is a strange and fascinating plant with a bright pink tufted flower.
IMG_3092.10001.jpg
This is a Tylecodon, I think, as it is similar to one I have
IMG_3093.10001.jpg
Not the world's best Echinopsis
IMG_3094.10001.jpg
A beautiful Agave attenuata
IMG_3095,10001.jpg
A Haworthia
IMG_3096.10001.jpg
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

Some more, an Aloe
IMG_3104.10001.jpg
Another Aloe
IMG_3105.10001.jpg
There was plenty more but I was there to eat. A few more general shots.
A view across the rice fields to the mountains beyond
IMG_2868.10001.jpg
One of hundreds or thousands Little Egrets
IMG_2864.10001.jpg
Another of one of the inhabitants of the Delta, I stayed in the car for this
IMG_2942.10001.jpg
I can not recommend the Ebro Delta enough if you like Egrets, Bitterns, Herons, Waders, Gulls, Terns, Ducks and Warblers. It was migration time, so we saw flocks of Bee-eaters and dozens of Marsh Harriers, which winter there, along with a lot of others.
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

Above all, I love the mountains, they are great for Vultures, Eagles, Thrushes and smaller birds, wonderful scenery and so many alpine plants. The fig trees are everywhere and at this time in fruit.
IMG_2986.10001.jpg
A Verbascum rosette
IMG_3007.10001.jpg
One of many hilltop towns
IMG_3032.10001.jpg
We found Morella, a town tucked inside some ancient walls, with a castle and the fabulous aqueduct.
IMG_3055.10001.jpg
On the wall in front of the aqueduct I found a whole collection of native Sedums, brevifolium, sediforme and hispanicum.
IMG_3049.10001.jpg
IMG_3049.10001.jpg (241.19 KiB) Viewed 3069 times
There are Sempervivums to be found if you go high enough to some inaccessible spots but there are many more interesting plants to be found without breaking your neck.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Some interesting finds there, Liz, and excellent photos. Are you on a commission from the travel agent?

Could the 3rd Opuntia be subulata? (= Austrocylindropuntia subulata).

The plant to the right of the Faucaria looks strange. Did you have any idea what it was? Peperomia??

The “strange and fascinating plant with a bright pink tufted flower” looks like Senecio stapeliiformis, but that has red flowers - unless there is also a pink flowered form. “Bright pink tufted” would seem to exclude a Ceropegia. Hope you didn’t bring back any of the Oxalis growing with it!

The Sedum hispanicum looks very red, was it very exposed to the sun?
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

Hi Mike, I'm sure you are right about O subulata, I only came across it in this one instance but others are all over the place.
As for the proposed Peperomia, I did not notice it, you are obviously more expert than I, to have seen it.
The Senecio flower was bright pinkish red, so maybe there are variations.
The Sedum hispanicum was in full sun, I should think, so no surprises it was so red. I saw it in several other places where it was green but probably more shady.
No, I did not bring any of the Oxalis back, I did not need to, I have plenty already.
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Opuntia No2 looks like the spiny form of O. stricta known as O. dillenii. It's a troublesome weed, I believe.

Could your Tylecodon be the plant I used to know as Coleus aromaticus (although most of the plant coming up from a google images search don't look quite right - does anybody else know the plant I mean?
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by ChrisR »

I thought it was Coleus as well Phil - thick felted leaves that smell amazing when crushed. Def not Tylecodon anyway.

Thanks Liz - a nice presentation.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

ChrisR wrote:I thought it was Coleus as well Phil - thick felted leaves that smell amazing when crushed. Def not Tylecodon anyway.
Phil_SK wrote:Could your Tylecodon be the plant I used to know as Coleus aromaticus (although most of the plant coming up from a google images search don't look quite right - does anybody else know the plant I mean?
Perhaps it is Plectranthus amboinicus aka Coleus amboinicus and Coleus aromaticus
web-1400.jpg