Chile 2015

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
DaveW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Chile 2015

Post by DaveW »

At a second Huanta site we found our first Copiapoa which I was told was Copiapoa wagenknechtii.
115.jpg
116.jpg
117.jpg
118.jpg
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Super plants and photographs, Dave, despite the (three) Colins :wink: Thank you for sharing.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

Don't know why it is Tony but the pictures are a lot sharper if you double click on them to enlarge them. I presume it must be the board scaling them down that reduces sharpness?

You should all worry, I have around another 350-400 images to go if needed, even though I pruned some from the slide show! :lol:

Makes a difference to the old film days with 36 exposures on a roll plus cost of processing, as I can now get 1,400 images on a small memory card in the camera with no processing costs, plus reuse the card later after transfer to the computer, so we no longer have any excuse these days for not taking pictures when the opportunity arises.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

At the same site we found Neoporteria setosiflora.
120.jpg
121.jpg
123.jpg
124.jpg
And one I am sure is a Trichocereus Phil from the flower.
126.jpg
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

DaveW wrote:Don't know why it is Tony but the pictures are a lot sharper if you double click on them to enlarge them. I presume it must be the board scaling them down that reduces sharpness?
Indeed they are! The pictures as displayed on the Forum pages are scaled down to a max. of 700 pixels across, compared to your photos which are typically 1100 pixels across, so will always lose some definition when compared with the 'full size' images.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

20/10/15 Choros today. Neoporteria simulans is usually reddish flowered, but I did find this yellow one. N. simulans is often confused with the local yellow flowered Copiapoa out of flower, hence the name "simulans", but Copiapoa flowers are usually naked and if you enlarge the image I think you can see hairs on the flower tube of this yellow flowered plant..
128.jpg
129.jpg
130.jpg
131.jpg
nobby
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by nobby »

Hallo Dave,

I am rather sure your last Trichocereus shows an Eulychnia again.
Do you have a picture that shows the flower from the side?

Cheers Nobby
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

A thoroughly enjoyable thread Dave, with some lovely photos of superb plants. Must have been a marvellous trip. Thanks for posting.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

Afraid not Nobby. I was going on the fact the other Eulychnia's I saw had woolly flowers therefore presumed that would still remain on the fruits.. As you can see the fruits are not woolly, but you may be right however.

See:-

https://zoom50.wordpress.com/2011/12/01 ... -philippi/

Again I was dependant on the list of species Roger gave us which we saw at each locality, but I may have found one he did not list. Also with so many images I have not always been able to confirm their identity with him.
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

Roger asked us what we were particularly interested in seeing. The others just had a general interest, but Colin Norton was interested in Copiapoa's and Roger knows my main interest, as is his, is Eriosyce sensu Kattermann, or Neoporteria sensu Donald and Rowley, particularly Thelocephala.

20/10/15 Our first Thelocephala. Was it tenebrica or riperia (napina ssp. riperia) at this locality?
132.jpg
As small plants it is often hard to tell the other seedling Neoporteria's growing among them from Thelocephala's until they develop more pronounced spines, as the one in the image below.
133.jpg
As you can see the plants are far more turgid than would be normal since from the cracks in the ground it is obvious they had been flooded in this exceptionally wet year.
134.jpg
135.jpg