Lanzarote

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: UK succulents

Post by Bill »

[quote]Colin wrote:

There's been quite a lot of info around recently about green rooves involving sedums. In my experience with growing hardy sedums outdoors in pots, I don't think these rooves are as low maintenance as the hype makes out![/quote]

When I worked on a local estate, we put sedums on several roofs, they looked great, but within 3 yrs they were replaced with slate roofs for exactly that reason.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
John Pusey
Registered Guest

Re: Umbilicus (and Morocco)

Post by John Pusey »

A week ago, I pricked out into a seed tray about 30 seedlings of Umbilicus rupestris from a wall in Kington, Herefordshire. Some suffered physical damage (the leaves got tangled together, and the petioles are very fragile), but the undamaged ones still seem OK, while a couple of plants with full size leaves which were collected at the same time wilted quite badly, and are only just showing signs of recovery. A previous attempt, which I think was one autumn, had no success, but I feel more optimistic this time, as the plants were so obviously growing vigorously when I found them. I have put them in a very open gritty compost, avoiding any contact with the local hard tap water, but perhaps even better would be to try to copy the site they came from - a thin layer of dust and debris on top of a flat stone in a fairly shady vertical wall - both moist and well drained andventilated.

I would be happy to exchange with anyone else who has the same.

You also said that you were interested in or familiar with the flora of Morocco. I am going to Marrakesh for a week in a month's time, with a day excursion to the High Atlas. Any suggestions as to what to look out for then would be very welcome !

John Pusey
John Pusey
Colin Walker
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi John,

Good luck with the Umbilicus rupestris - please keep us updated.

I've visited Morocco once and have written a few articles. Please email me privately and I'll send you some copies. The locations given in the articles may help you.

We were based in Agadir and the coast N. & S. from there has large populations of euphorbias, kleinia, etc. Aeonium is rare and the carallumas are XXXs to find.

The Atlas Mtns. have Crassulaceae, but again not easy to locate. Euphorbia resinifera is worth searching out too, but I didn't myself see this sp. in habitat.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
John Pusey
Registered Guest

Post by John Pusey »

To Colin Walker
I would be pleased to hear more from you about Morocco, but I don't know your address. I set off for Marrakesh on Sun 25 Feb. Please e-mail me as soon as convenient at johnguypusey@hotmail.com (or ring me on 01865 723645 - leave a message any time, or catch me oin person on a weekday morning. Thanks
John Pusey
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hello John

Can I just say that I don't think it's a good idea to put your phone number on a public forum like this, up to you but I wouldn't.

If you click on a users name they may have an e-mail address in their profile and you could also click on "reply by PM" and send Colin a private message.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.