Lanzarote

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
MikeT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Umbilicus

Post by MikeT »

Maria

It's Umbilicus rupestris, common on rocks or roadsides in S. Wales, I'm not so sure about other areas (Cornwall/Devon & S Wales tend to be fairly similar for plants in many respects). Not many in Sheffield area; a couple I know of on my garage roof, transplanted from S. Wales (with land owner's permission). Tends to be a short lived perennial. Will tolerate drought for a while, but not averse to good supply of water provided soil is well drained.
Tall flower spikes in the summer, not the most stunning sight though.

Common names of navelwort or pennywort

Mike T
Sheffield branch

Post Edited (01-10-07 19:49)
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
David
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Zone Rep

Re: Lanzarote

Post by David »

Mike.

For cacti, try the Vivero Garden Centre in Arricife, which they claim to be the largest on the island. Entrance is via Argana Baja opposite the hospital. For a map, buy a copy of the "Lancelot" journal where they have an advert.

Another garden centre is Viveros los Lirios on the road from Tias to Macher. Another is near Tahiche, on the road to San Bartolome (just past the Fundacion Cesar Manrique, I think). Not much to interest me when I was last there, but I did buy a nice Cissus quadrangularis for couple of Euros (it actually turned out to be three plants, which was a bonus).

The cactus garden , advertised as Jardin de Cactus, at Guatiza is well worth a visit. Open 10am to 4 pm. They do not sell plants, but you can get an interesting book "Lanzarote Cactus Garden" there. First published in 1999, the second edition has just come out. Paperback or hardback.

David Greenaway
Oxford Branch
North Lincs Mike
Registered Guest
Branch: GRIMSBY

Post by North Lincs Mike »

David

Very many thanks for the help. I will try and visit when I am over there.
Sorry about delay - only just found the nthread,

Mike
Newish collector/grower; mixed lot in a new 12x18 g/h and my old re-erected 10x8 - good job I didn't sell it !
Colin Walker
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Maria,

The British native species is Umbilicus rupestris. It's quite common on walls and banks in W. Wales and the west country.

The Canarian sp. U. horizontalis differs in having its flowers arranged horizontally, i.e. sticking straight out, hence the name, whereas they hang down or are pendulous (an old synonym is U. pendulinus) in the British sp.

We'd need to see flowers on David's plant to be sure he's photographed U. horizontalis and not another sp., since there are two in the Canaries.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi David,

Excellent pics.

I've a specioal interest in Canarian succulents. Have visited several islands, but have yet to go to Lanzarote.

Maybe you'd like me to give you my newish digital presentation to the Oxford branch, then we could compare "notes"? I deal with Morocco too, 'cos there are many similarities between the succulents of mainland NW Africa and the Atlantic islands.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
David
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Zone Rep

Post by David »

I am sure that we would say "yes" to that offer, Colin.
I'll let secretary John Watmough know.

Many thanks.

David Greenaway.
Wantage.
Bill

Post by Bill »

[quote] Colin wrote:
The British native species is Umbilicus rupestris. It's quite common on walls and banks in W. Wales and the west country. [/quote]

The Penny Wort very common round here, any one want any ;)

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

It might be common and therefore ignored by many, but it's a caudiciform (!) in the Crassulaceae family apparently. Interesting what you can find on Google. I couldn't remember what the name was for that kind of leaf. You don't see many plants where the stem joins the leaf in the centre like that. It's called 'peltate', based I think on its resemblance to a shield. I found lots of it growing on walls in Hardington Mandeville, Somerset

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Bill,

In my albeit limited experience, Umbilicus is tricky to maintain in a greenhouse, but maybe I didn't persevere enough.

Has anyone else (Phil maybe) tried growing this plant in cultivation?
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

UK succulents

Post by Maria J »

Thanks Colin & Mike, interesting to see similar species in the UK!
Does anyone know how many UK native succulents there are? I must say I never thought of the navelwort as a succulent... I have a few various species of sedum in the garden too but not sure if any are natives...
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!