Lanzarote

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
David
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Zone Rep

Re: Lanzarote

Post by David »

Colin -
I have had plant of Umbilicus horizonthalis since Jan'05 (brought a baby seedling home!). Dormant April to September. It flowered in the early spring last year, but I did not take a photo. However, the dead flower stalk is still attached, and I can confirm that the flowers do stick out horizontally from the vertical main stalk - in fact they point slightly upwards.

Moreover, it seems to be self-fertile, and has set seed; there are three tiny seedlings in the pot.

David Greenaway.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

There are several native Sedums from the very common to the very rare. Things like S. acre and S. album are probably native but probably also naturalised way beyond their original locations, and are in every garden centre. Things like S. villosum (see BCCSJ June 2006) are extremely rare and almost unknown in cultivation.
Cheshire, UK
David
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Zone Rep

Post by David »

When in Lanzarote at the beginning of the month we visited an English couple in Haria, in the "Valley of the Thousand Palms". This small part of the island is quite untypical of Lanzarote - a sort of oasis in the desert.

Fifteen years ago they bought a very old and interesting house in town and set about creating a garden of native plants, which are mostly non-succulent. The have one succulent species endemic to Lanzarote that is of special interest if only because it is so rare - Aeonium balsamiferum. Once cultivated there and on the neighbouring island of Fuerteventure to extract the sticky balsam as a preservative for fishing lines, it is now hardly to be found (the goats like it). Somehow David traced a plant and set about propagating it; now he has many mature specimens. He has been the gardening correspondant for the Lanzarote Gazette for the past year and it was his article describing this venture and offering rooted cuttings to local residents that led me to contact him.

It has been suggested to him, perhaps jokingly, that he may now have more plants of Aeonium balsamiferum in his garden than exist in the rest of the world. Wanting to spread this rarity around he tried to supply small plants to the local garden centres, but they refused as they are not allowed to sell them - because the species is protected. Catch 22?

My picture shows a length of their garden path bordered on both sides by the plants. Identification of the species is easy - the leaf rosettes exude a strong smell of balsam. I now have a couple of cuttings at home, both sprouting roots.

David Greenaway
Oxford Branch.
[attachment 1876 Aeoniumbalsamiferum2.jpg]
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (85.66 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Wow, what a fabulous project! I'm sure many species are saved by people like them! Funny though how sometimes legislation backfires on itself...
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Wow... what a garden. If I lived there I'd never manage to do a single thing after breakfast... until I got hungry for lunch.

I never realised we have succulents here... I thought they all came from exotic places.

Not allowed to sell them??!?!?! Does the same rule apply here, David? You could sell or swap them at BCSS get-togethers.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Aeonium balsamiferum is available for sale elsewhere in Europe, I imagine this is just a local regulation to prevent habitat stripping. It is listed in the Bern Convention, which requires member states to protect habitat, make wild collection illegal, and to control the posession and sale as necessary.
Cheshire, UK
Colin Walker

Re: UK succulents

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Maria,

There are roughly a dozen native British succulents: Umbilicus as we've discussed, then several Sedum spp.

Added to this are the naturalised ones, and then we're into tricky territory because where do we drawn the line?

Carpobrotus edulis is certainly naturalised in frost-free coastal areas. I know of a thriving population on Anglesey for instance.

An Australian alien as I've called it in the past is Crassula helmsii. This was used as an oxygenator in fish tanks/ponds, and has escaped and is now a pest that blocks waterways and covers ponds. This pest will be very difficult to get rid of now.

For me the interest in this plant and its relatives (strictly members of the genus Tillaea split off from Crassula) is that they're aquatic succulents - now how bizarre is that??!!
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Victoria
BCSS Member
Branch: PORTSMOUTH & District

Post by Victoria »

Lets not forget Salicornia (licks lips and rubs tummy!)
Victoria

BCSS Member since 2005. My collection has been somewhat neglected since starting a PhD but I am particularly keen on Crassulaceae, succulent Pelargoniums and South African bulbs.
Bill

Post by Bill »

[quote]Colin wrote:
Carpobrotus edulis is certainly naturalised in frost-free coastal areas. I know of a thriving population on Anglesey for instance. [/quote]

That's the Hottentot fig isn't it, I know it's a problem in the Channel Islands and the southwest of England, but did not know we had it up here, we have enough problem with things like Rhododendrum in the National Park.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Victoria,

Yep, you're right, Salicornia should be on the list too.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University