Lanzarote

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Lanzarote

Post by Colin Walker »

HiBill,

Yep, Carpobrotus edulis is the Hottentot fig. Pity to consider one of our beloved plants as a nuisance or even a pest that needs eradication.

Crassula helmsii is certainly in this class - I've seen whole ponds covered by this plant, especially in the New Forest.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Re: UK succulents

Post by Maria J »

Interesting! Thanks everyone! I hadn't thought of the hottentot, of which there is plenty around the cliffs near the Lizard.
I guess Samphire (Which Google tells me is Crithmum maritimum) is another but not sure whether it's a true native?
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

There are lots of naturalised succulents in the UK. Cornwall, especially on cliffs, has large areas of Delosperma as well as Carpobrotus, there are even locally extensive patches of Lampranthus and of Fascicularia bicolor (probably the only bromeliad that will grow outdoors for me in Sheffield).

Sedums like dasphyllum have naturalised in various places.

Colin
I wouldn't try Umbilicus rupestris in the greenhouse, it'll be much happier outdoors. Photo is of one today on my garage roof. Snow & frost no problem. The leaves even have litle pools of water in them now, I don't know how well that will show up on the pic.

Maria
I'm sure there'll be more, but Sedum acre, album, anglicum, forsterianum, rupestre (=reflexum) & villosum are all native; so are Rhodiola rosea (possibly the most northerly growing succulent) & Hylotelephium telephium (orpine or livelong), as well as ones mentioned above. No greenhouse needed to extend your collection to include these.
[attachment 1882 Umbilicus_rupestris.jpg]
Attachments
4SAKRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA
4SAKRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA (88.32 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
MikeT
BCSS Member

Post by MikeT »

Delosperma in Cornwall (cooperi?)
[attachment 1883 Delocoop02.JPG]
Attachments
4RywRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA
4RywRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA (96.44 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
MikeT
BCSS Member

Post by MikeT »

Lampranthus in Cornwall
[attachment 1884 Lampran01.JPG]
Attachments
4RvXRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA
4RvXRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA (99.9 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
MikeT
BCSS Member

Post by MikeT »

..& Fascicularia bicolor in Cornwall. This covered an area at least 10 feet deep from the edge of a cliff side path, along about 100 yards. I didn't count how many rosettes
[attachment 1885 Fascic01.JPG]
Attachments
4RgnRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA
4RgnRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA (99.66 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Mike, I'm pretty sure that's not Delosperma cooperi. I suspect it isn't even a Delosperma. How about Disphyma crassifolium, another naturalised mesemb?
Cheshire, UK
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Thanks Mike for the info & excellent photos! I shall have a better look next time I 'go west'! ;)
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
MikeT
BCSS Member

Post by MikeT »

Ian

I did wonder as I put the photo up. I labelled it as that back in 2002. I don't think the definition will be good enough, but I think this is a carpet of Delosperma on a rock face. There hadn't been many flowers, (I was there in August) and very few still open, but larger & deeper colour than the plant in the earlier photo, more like the plant I have as Delosperma cooperi in pots now. I'll label the previous one as "?Disphyma crassifolium" unless someone can tell me otherwise.
[attachment 1887 Delocoop01.JPG]
Attachments
4RVWRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA
4RVWRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA (92.9 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
MikeT
BCSS Member

Post by MikeT »

...and Carpobrotus edulis. Some cliff faces had patches of hundreds of square yatds of this, smothering everything else. As it's classed as a local menace, I took a cutting to root back home but it didn't survive the first winter. It has the reputation of being much harder to grow awat from the coast, gives me a good excuse in the Pennines
[attachment 1888 Carpoedul02.JPG]
Attachments
4Ru8RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA
4Ru8RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA (99.14 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525