IOS at Kew

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: IOS at Kew - Aeonium undulatum

Post by Colin Walker »

The Canarian Island Aeonium undulatum coming into flower.

[attachment 2913 Aeoniumundulatum1.jpg]
Attachments
4RCzRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA8BAgAJAAAAngAAABABAgAQAAAApwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtwAAABsBBQABAAAAvwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAxwAAADIBAgAUAAAA2wAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA7wAAAKXEBwAcAAAA9AAAAGmHBAABAAAAEAEAADADAABGVUp
4RCzRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA8BAgAJAAAAngAAABABAgAQAAAApwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtwAAABsBBQABAAAAvwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAxwAAADIBAgAUAAAA2wAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA7wAAAKXEBwAcAAAA9AAAAGmHBAABAAAAEAEAADADAABGVUp (92.93 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Colin Walker

Re: IOS at Kew - Kalanchoe schimperiana

Post by Colin Walker »

The Ethiopian and Tanzanian Kalanchoe schimperiana caught my eye.

[attachment 2914 Kalanchoeschimperiana1.jpg]
Attachments
4Rx5RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA8BAgAJAAAAngAAABABAgAQAAAApwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtwAAABsBBQABAAAAvwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAxwAAADIBAgAUAAAA2wAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA7wAAAKXEBwAcAAAA9AAAAGmHBAABAAAAEAEAADADAABGVUp
4Rx5RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA8BAgAJAAAAngAAABABAgAQAAAApwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtwAAABsBBQABAAAAvwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAxwAAADIBAgAUAAAA2wAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA7wAAAKXEBwAcAAAA9AAAAGmHBAABAAAAEAEAADADAABGVUp (93.44 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Re: IOS at Kew - IOS members

Post by Colin Walker »

Two very famous IOS members, both interested in Aloe and Euphorbia: Susan Carter Holmes and Len Newton, with rather appropriately some aloes in the background.

[attachment 2915 SusanHolmesLenNewton1.jpg]
4RfvRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA8BAgAJAAAAngAAABABAgAQAAAApwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtwAAABsBBQABAAAAvwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAxwAAADIBAgAUAAAA2wAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA7wAAAKXEBwAcAAAA9AAAAGmHBAABAAAAEAEAADADAABGVUp
4RfvRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA8BAgAJAAAAngAAABABAgAQAAAApwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtwAAABsBBQABAAAAvwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAxwAAADIBAgAUAAAA2wAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA7wAAAKXEBwAcAAAA9AAAAGmHBAABAAAAEAEAADADAABGVUp (81.97 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Re: IOS at Kew - Strelitzia

Post by Colin Walker »

Last pic, a bit off topic, but this is Strelitzia ? reginae growing in the succulent house so I thought this would be OK.:)

I've a large potted plant of this and hoping to get it to flower.

[attachment 2916 Strelitzia1.jpg]
Attachments
4Rh+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA8BAgAJAAAAngAAABABAgAQAAAApwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtwAAABsBBQABAAAAvwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAxwAAADIBAgAUAAAA2wAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA7wAAAKXEBwAcAAAA9AAAAGmHBAABAAAAEAEAADADAABGVUp
4Rh+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA8BAgAJAAAAngAAABABAgAQAAAApwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtwAAABsBBQABAAAAvwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAxwAAADIBAgAUAAAA2wAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA7wAAAKXEBwAcAAAA9AAAAGmHBAABAAAAEAEAADADAABGVUp (83.01 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Re: IOS at Kew

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Tom,

Sorry, no idea how Kew's mesembs are, because I didn't have time to look at them. I bypassed the cacti too.;)
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Re: IOS at Kew - Beschorneria yuccoides

Post by Tina »

[size=medium]Hi Colin

Some wonderful plants there, the agaves look great .
I didn't realise my A.pumila's will get so big, still it will take them a long time I suppose.
[/size]
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Excellent Colin thank you for sharing these with us. Spoke to Roy M this morning and he said he had a fantastic weekend including plenty of wine with a nice meal!

Re Pelagonium Triste - I have a nice size one of that plant but it only has a small amount of foliage at the moment.

One of these days I must visit Kew!
Colin Walker

Re: IOS at Kew - Beschorneria yuccoides

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Chief Mod,

I don't even have A. pumila, small or large, so on your scavengings maybe you'd please keep an eye open for this for me, please ever so? A. pendula would be good to have too, but I think that's possibly a tad too large for my space!

A. guadalajarana and A. isthmensis were my favourites, but I have both of these already and they look good even as small plants.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

The Agave you think maybe chiapensis Colin, looks very similar (the teeth and leaf colour anyway) to one I have labelled as polyacantha xalapensis. I think my favourite has to be A. pumila, you don't see those very often.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Vic,

Thanks for your thoughts on the A. ? chiapensis ID. I've emailed a guy at Kew to check on the IDs of a couple of plants, this one included. The plant had no label, but another, similar one had the ID A. chiapensis, so that's where that ID came from.

I've also flagged up with Kew that the Aloe is definitely a Bulbine. :S
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS