Bishop CA trip

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Trevor
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Bishop CA trip

Post by Trevor »

Fantastic photo's Vladimir ! Was there only the one early flowerer ? If so, I wonder why that particular plant was in full bloom so early ???
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Magnificent, Vladamir. Thanks for sharing such a geat location and its plants.

Are you any closer to being able to identify the "different to basilaris" Opuntia? It certainly is close to basilaris, maybe a new variety or ssp? Opuntia basilaris vladimirensis??
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html

Post by Guest »

Fantasic Vladimir, this takes me back to when I was working in LA and we used to go off to the mountains finding plants most weekends.
Vladimir
Registered Guest

Post by Vladimir »

Hi Chris.

No I had not much luck with this Opuntia. I have made couple more pics of it that I did not post here.

Michael Kiessling has something called Opuntia basilaris "withneyana" listed. It has somewhat smaller pads as I understand from the description - may be it is something similar to what I got. Mt. Whitney is not too fare from Bishop and is a sort of local icon - may be it has to do with that. But the descriptions do not exactly match - he sais his plants are purple and for mild climates, the ones I have go white under cold or sun - looks like it's lacking betacyanin - and exteamly cold tolerant. This winter I've seen -15C night reports from the area

This one should be called "pumicei" or something like that :) - as it grows on pumice soils and very rot prone - unlike any opuntia I've dealt with
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Very interesting. I was in Bishop in 1986, but it looks like you got a little further from the beaten track than I did!
Cheshire, UK
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Fantastic Vladimir - thanks for sharing your great photos. (tu)

There's certainly plenty of flowers on the mojavensis and nice colour!!
Vladimir
Registered Guest

Post by Vladimir »

Speaking of spines..

Habitat plants that I have in my greenhouse develop about same spination as the original one they have. Yes the light level is high here in CA - but I actually put a 40% shade cloth over my greenhouse all the time but 4 winter months. I got to think that the temperature dropping to about 10C every night summer months has its play. And - yes, plants need to be healthy, well-fed - the obvious
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Great photos, Vladimir, thanks! Those red flowers are really beautiful, no wonder you stopped the car!
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

WOW!! Absolutely stonking Vladimir!! Thanks for sharing!
Those flowers are spectacular! (tu)
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!