CSSA habitat tour in Brazil (with pictures)

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Vic
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Re: CSSA habitat tour in Brazil (with pictures)

Post by Vic »

Yes great stuff Marlon, some truly superb plants:)
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Thanks again for sharing some of these barely known (in UK cultivation, at least) plants. Pseudoacanthocereus? I didn't think there were any cactus genera left that I would need to look up!
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

Simply MAGNIFICENT!!!, Marlon, thank you so much.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest

Post by CoronaCactus »

Hi Marlon,

Having just found this thread yesterday, i have spent the past 2 days of my lunch hours viewing it.

My sincere thanks for your time to post all these great pics and the info you provided with them. Truely an amazing country for cacti species. I have a soft spot for the cephalium producing columnar plants.

Words cannot describe the joy viewing this great thread. Absolutely incredible!!!
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com

kaowinston
Registered Guest

Post by kaowinston »

Marlon, this has got to be the the tour of a lifetime. Just looking at the photos make you realise how much you would love to be there. Absolutely spectacular are the different plants and trees, and the way they coexist and grow within the varied, and differing land structures. These photos are an education for those of us who never been to your beautiful country. Thank you very much for this extraordinary window of habitat life in Brazil. One day I would like to go there. New member Winston
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Thanks all for your kind comments!

Yes Winston, I really love living here so close to these plants, and visiting them at every possible opportunity.

Actually I did not finish the tour, there are two days left - I should post the remaining pictures.

Cheers,

Marlon.
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by IanW »

How long does it take you to travel to this kind of habitat Marlon? Something I learnt in Canada and the US is that in the UK many of us have a poor sense of distance and lower tolerance for "long" journeys due to our coutry being so relatively small. Something is often seen as far away here if it takes 3hrs to drive to but in Canada most people seemed to think 3hrs was just a short trip down the road as I learnt when we drove to the far side of Toronto from Ottawa taking us 7hrs, although some of that was Toronto traffic.

I'd love to live in this kind of climate because even if you had to travel to the habitat you could presumably quite easily grow all of these plants in your garden anyway! I like the idea of being surrounded by a million Melocactus in my garden ;)
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Two, three-hour drive is a short trip here as well :) to go from the coast to the western part of the state of Bahia where I live, it takes about 12 hours of driving. In order to see all the best cactus places in a trip, one has to drive a lot, but then a itinerary can be created to optimize the habitat visits in order to see as many new things as possible each day. Still, these trips are long driving days with four or five plant stops per day.

But to see some cacti I do not need to travel far - in the campus of the university there are some native Pilosocereus and Cereus species growing, and if I drive just a few quilometers out of town I will be able to see melocacti in their natural habitats.

Cheers,

Marlon.
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Cristi
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Cristi »

Just magnificent. Is all I can say about this topic.
Congratulations and a big THANK YOU, Marlon!
Cristi