Theft from Cactus Shop

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
Cactoholic
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH SURREY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Theft from Cactus Shop

Post by Cactoholic »

I was away on holiday this week. I returned from my holiday to find that a very important (to me) seed pod had been stolen from my collection. The member of staff who was in charge tells me that the pod disappeared during a visit by two society members. Could the person who did this please mail the seed pod back to me. If anyone knows anything about this, please get in touch. By the nature of the cross, if the seed or subsequent progeny eventually find their way onto the market, I will know that they originated from me. Please be honest and send back to me. I can't believe that there are members in our society who would do this to me. Ralph Northcott, Cactus Shop
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Re: Theft from Cactus Shop

Post by Keith H »

Hi Ralph, what a disappointing reason to bring a new face to the forum. It is always sad when a member of a group or society that you feel are part of your community let you down by abusing your trust. You do see the removal of seed pods or ‘just taking a cutting’ quite often when visiting gardens, it is of cause theft and some folk obviously think nothing of their actions.
I expect your live web cam together with customer present credit / debit card transaction timings will help to track down the culprit. Though I want to see you get your seeds back, I do hope that it was not anyone that regularly contributes to this forum.
Please keep us updated if you have any good news (without naming names innocent until proved guilty and all that) and do spend a little time on the forum, I am sure that I and many others have a lot to learn from an experienced commercial grower .
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Cactoholic
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH SURREY

Post by Cactoholic »

Hello Keith,

Thanks for your comments. I would love to be a regular contributor to the forum if I just had a little more time. Perhaps when I retire?
I have a very good idea which branch the culprits belong to, but I shan't name it here.
I am just hoping that the mention here may make them realise how important this cross was to me and shame them into returning my babies!
As an aside, now I am here, perhaps (and as a tip from an "experienced commercial grower") I should mention that when I started in business there must have been around 20-25 decent sized cactus nurseries in operation in the UK. Now I would say you can count the decent sized ones left on the fingers of one hand - and we aren't getting any younger! Can I say to any young entrepreneurs out there - business is good and the demand is increasing each year - it's a fun way to make a living. You just need to be totally obsessed with cacti.
Best wishes,
Ralph
IainS
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by IainS »

Ralph: Having been away at our nature reserves in South Africa recently, I am just catching up with things. I would like to add my dismay on hearing of your loss.

The effects of theft are often underestimated by those who commit their cowardly crime. I have thankfully only suffered two minor losses during 34 years as a nurseryman - but several break-ins at my vegetarian restaurant ("The Nuthouse") earlier on in life always felt like a severe intrusion.

I would like to think your seed pod has now been returned, but the realist in me doubts this very much. Where are the values that were once more cherished in society and commonly talked about? If those who did this are reading these words, please do the appropriate thing: be "big" and return what was never yours, with a sincere apology. As Joan Armatrading once sang "Never is too late". As a boy, I once stole a 50p coin from a large table of money at the end of the trading day, just before going home; my manager caught me in the act and I learnt a valuable lesson. Again: be "big" and therefore richer.

Your comments about the demise of UK nurseries is not only true but goes beyond the growing of cacti and other succulents. Terry Hewitt and I were friends from 1980, the year before I started my nursery, but we then drifted apart in the late 1980s as our work in Ethiopia and Sudan demanded a huge amount of my life. I didn't hear of his death until 2014, when (encouraged by Vicky) I then spoke to his widow.

All the very best

Iain
"Avoidance doesn't work"
Rene G

Post by Rene G »

Hallo Ralph,
I am sorry to hear about your tragic incident and hope the culpit has returned his booty, although I doudt it,althoug he/she will surely have a guilty concience for some time! Didn't think some one would do such a thing. I'd be iterested to hear if someone has really owned up.

You are also right about the dimise of C & S nurseries, as the number has declined ever since I joined the Hobby. I now wonder how a new-comer to the hobby can build a good collectio, when there is no one reasonable close in his area that can offer a good and interesting supply of plants. Can't think of nurseries that grow a comprehensive number of documented plants from seed these days.

I know it needs dedication, but keep up your good work!

René