Havering Cactus Mart - Saturday May14th

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Havering Cactus Mart - Saturday May14th

Post by Stuart »

Havering Cactus Mart - the original cactus mart and always a good day out - is on May 14th. The BCSS seems to keep its events well hidden, to save having to unplug the computer and go and look at my year planner, I thought I'd check the date from the BCSS homepage. I know it's there somewhere but, unless I've missed it, there's no direct link on the BCSS homepage to BCSS Events other than the National. you have to scroll down to the bottom corner, click on 'branches' and then spot a link to events. The chances on a casual viewer finding it aren't good.
If page views here are anything to go by, the South-East Cactus Mart is well in the lead with 1139, followed by South West Mart at 657 and North West Mart with 359 so Havering has some catching up to do.
Anyone from the branch able to provide a list of nurseries etc?
Stuart
Just noticed there is a link to shows on the left column of the BCSS homepage - spotted it at second attempt!
Bill
Branch: None

Re: Havering Cactus Mart - Saturday May14th

Post by Bill »

The Calendar of Events is the first item on the "Taking Part" link/page at the top of every web page and the bottom of forum pages, fairly easy to find in my opinion. On the new website due for launch shortly it will be on the front page though.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I just tried the website with four non-cactus people, just told them to find a list of cactus show. Two, both young children found the events list, the two adults didn't. Main comments were that the tiny yellow on pale green links didn't show up. Although the Cactus Mall site looks a little dated now, the links on the left-hand column are clear and have simple titles. The 'taking part' link on the BCSS site just lets me know that the next National Show will be in 2012. The BCSS site doesn't do much to promote shows, which should be one of the best ways to attract new members. Sorry, this is getting a bit off topic.
Stuart
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Stuart wrote: Sorry, this is getting a bit off topic. Stuart
But very relevant in this 'Year of the Shows' (tu)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Cactipod
Registered Guest
Branch: NORTH DEVON

Post by Cactipod »

Hello

Just a few questions- if I wanted to come to this event would I need to pay ahead? Also do I need to be a member before the date? I'm hoping to join by the end of this month. Lastly I don't live near the event, would it still be ok if I attended?

Any information would be great, it's been a long time since I've been to a bcss event.

Thank you
Ellie
There is always room for more cacti...
Carl
BCSS Member
Branch: ISLE OF WIGHT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Carl »

Cactipod wrote:Hello

Just a few questions- if I wanted to come to this event would I need to pay ahead? Also do I need to be a member before the date? I'm hoping to join by the end of this month. Lastly I don't live near the event, would it still be ok if I attended?

Any information would be great, it's been a long time since I've been to a bcss event.

Thank you
Ellie
Hi Ellie,

These events are open to the general public and admission is paid on the day (usually a nominal sum) and people come from all over to see what they can buy :grin:

There's some more information on the Havering branch website: http://www.havering.bcss.org.uk/cactusmart.html

This year is also the year the society holds their 4 yearly National Show in Cambridgeshire so that's definitely worth a visit if you can make it, this will be my first! http://society.bcss.org.uk/index.php/national-show.html

Carl Bullock (Isle of Wight Branch Treasurer, Webmaster)
[IW Branch Website|Branch Facebook Page|My Personal Facebook Page]
BCSS 50189
Cactipod
Registered Guest
Branch: NORTH DEVON

Post by Cactipod »

Thank you very much :)
There is always room for more cacti...
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

Don't forget folks, this fantastic event is THIS SATURDAY. :eek:

Hope to see you there. (tu)
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!