MSG Event 24/09/16

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
purzo
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: MSG Event 24/09/16

Post by purzo »

You're absolutely right Tony and I'm looking forward to going to fill a couple of bags with plants once again. (tu)
But the North West show is billed as "North West" so that's where I'd expect it to be whereas I'd assumed the MSG event should be promoted as a national event so it would be really nice if it was a little bit more accessible....hint :wink:

There is also the Birmingham branch incorporating the Haworthia Society show next week which is nicely plonked smack in the middle (or thereabouts) so I'm hoping to be able to attend that one too. Happy days :grin:
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Well done, everyone, you know who you are!
A great day out, from beginning to end.

From Tony and Les,
on behalf of the Haworthia Society.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Pictures please!

If work is not in the way as it was this year, I hope to visit it in 2018...!
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Indications are that this was a very successful event. I have talked to several of the overseas visitors and they thought that their trips from Lithuania, Hungary, Germany, France, etc (even Australia and China!) were absolutely worthwhile.

Various named organisers of the Event were thanked at the end of the day, but can I also put in a big thank you to those MSG members and other visitors who helped to set up the show in the morning and also take it down in short time in the afternoon to enable Brian's thoughtful lecture to take place. Those wooden trestle tables are heavy and it was great to be able to spread the load.

Terry Smale
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi All,

I would like to thank all who turned up to support this Event at Banstead and echo Terry's thanks to those who deliberately or accidentally turned up early and helped get the tabling up and at the end, down. Thanks for the donations of home made cakes, nothing quite like it. I know that Jackie, Chris and Charlie in the kitchen were absolutely k.......d at the end having been on the go since they got there keeping us supplied with sustenance, but more help next time is a must, they ran out of mugs and plates and didn't have time to collect up the empties. Thanks also for all the raffle prizes and the items for the auction.

As usual it all went by so quickly, but it was buzzing all day.

We welcomed a quiet time at the end when Brian Mcdonough gave us an excellent insight into the trials and tribulations of growing our favourite plants in less than favourable conditions north of the Border.

And in case you wondered, yes we did come out on the right side, financially.

Suzanne
Mesemb Study Group
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

It certainly was an enjoyable day! I believe we can add Spain and the Isle of Wight to Terry's list of visitors. I had no idea beforehand that I would end the day in the pub eating a meal with another Brit, a Brit living in Spain, two Germans and a Chinaman.

The sales plants were excellent this time, although the Mesemb display was a bit thin, but still there were amazing plants e.g. three happy Didymaotus plants. We know where the plants come from because of the entry cards, but it is a mystery to me where so many home-made cakes and raffle prizes appeared from?

But I too would also query whether this is a national event? Having helped with the entertainment of a few of the foreign visitors before & after, gives another perspective. Following twelve MSG Events at Banstead from 1993 (?), it has actually grown into an international event! Obviously foreign visitors do not just come for the one day of the show, but combine the trip with other attractions - Kew Gardens was a popular choice. This suggests that the venue should stay in the London area, where there are airports, trains and hotels for access by public transport. BCSS events like the National Show or Convention are not particularly attractive to foreign visitors because they are more difficult to access by public transport and lack tourist attractions nearly.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Apicra wrote: ...it has actually grown into an international event! Obviously foreign visitors do not just come for the one day of the show ...
Indeed, Derek, one Australian couple I talked with had flown over to be here for several weeks. They were at the MSG event on Saturday, will be at the Birmingham and Haworthia Society Show this Sunday and at the North West Mesemb Show the following weekend.
That puts into perspective the view from some that it is too far to travel from say Yorkshire to South-east England. :wink:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)