MSG Event 24/09/16

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
Terry S.
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

MSG Event 24/09/16

Post by Terry S. »

After the National Show, you should be looking forward to the once every two years Event of the Mesemb Study Group. This will be open to the public from 11.00 to 15.30 on Saturday 24th September at the Banstead Community Centre, Park Road, Banstead, SM7 3AJ. After the plant displays and sales and auction, there will be a talk from Brian McDonough who is well-known in Scottish succulent circles but rarely talks this far south.
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Re: MSG Event 24/09/16

Post by topsy »

In case you have mislaid your schedule/programme of the event, it is now on the MSG website

www.mesemb.org

Please note the sales tables are being booked and running out fast. Should be some excellent plants for sale not just mesembs.

Suzanne Mace
Mesemb Study Group
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Thanks Terry and Suzanne,
Looking forward to it.
Note, page 1 of the schedule seems to have some formatting issues, when I open it, in my version of MS Word?
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Tony R wrote:Thanks Terry and Suzanne,
Looking forward to it.
Note, page 1 of the schedule seems to have some formatting issues, when I open it, in my version of MS Word?
My version of Word doesn't like it either
mesemb.JPG
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

I'm looking forward to this MSG Event next weekend, but the recent "Indian Summer" heatwave we have had in the SE means that many of my Mesembs are still in deep rest. Mitrophyllums are twigs and Spalmanthus tenuiflorus is just a lump. Perhaps cooler weather next week will wake them up, but that does not leave time to clean up old dried leaves. I hope new exhibitors will bring along their plants and bulk up the display. I'm sure there will be much of interest as usual and understand a number of foreign visitors are planning to attend.

I note another attraction is that Keith Larkin will be selling books.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I agree with Derek, my conos seem to have been quite slow in coming into growth and breaking through their old sheathes this year. The cooler moist weather that we have had during the last week seems to have made a difference. I was preparing conos yesterday afternoon to bring along for the display and there is a reasonable amount of flower on them.

Please don't forget to bring along anything that is suitable for the auction in aid of the Research Fund.
topsy
BCSS Trustee

Post by topsy »

Hi Everyone,

Where are your entries for the Event?

Please enter and make this a truly memorable show.

Suzanne
Mesemb Study Group
topsy
BCSS Trustee

Post by topsy »

Thank you to those of you who have entered but are there any more to come?

and if any of you could bump up your existing entries it would be appreciated.

Don't forget there is a raffle and importantly the auction to raise funds for the Research Fund of the MSG.

Lastly there will be an excellent talk from Brian McDonough who does the artwork for the MSG Bulletin covers and is traveling down from Scotland - talk is - Growing Mesembs on the Edge.

Suzanne
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by purzo »

I hope you have a great show. My wife is an MSG member and we really would have liked to attend but sadly a 400 mile round trip, especially so soon after visiting the National, makes us feel it is not very inclusive for Northerners, or Midlanders for that matter. :sad:
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

purzo wrote:I hope you have a great show. My wife is an MSG member and we really would have liked to attend but sadly a 400 mile round trip, especially so soon after visiting the National, makes us feel it is not very inclusive for Northerners, or Midlanders for that matter. :sad:
But luckily, Gary, you have the North West Mesemb Show just two weeks later to look forward to.
Us Southerners find that a long way to go too :sad: :wink:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)