Any C&S nurseries going to RHS Chatsworth

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
purzo
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Any C&S nurseries going to RHS Chatsworth

Post by purzo »

I can't find any information about nurseries going to the new RHS event at Chatsworth next month. Does anybody know if there will be anything C&S related at the show?
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Any C&S nurseries going to RHS Chatsworth

Post by juster »

Hi Gary, I managed to find the list of exhibitors in the depths of the RHS website. This lists Ottershaw Cacti, William's Cactus, Sunray Plants showing Sempervivums and W and S Lockyer (mainly a Fuchsia nursery I think) showing Aloes, Echeverias and Crassulas. Hope you enjoy your visit.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
purzo
BCSS Member

Post by purzo »

Hi Juster, blimey you did well, hats off to you! I just seemed to be going round in circles and couldn't find anything. Thanks very much for the info. It's right on our doorstep so if the weather's ok I'll pay them a visit.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

purzo wrote:Hi Juster, blimey you did well, hats off to you! I just seemed to be going round in circles and couldn't find anything. Thanks very much for the info. It's right on our doorstep so if the weather's ok I'll pay them a visit.
Well done, Juster!
Yes, Purzo, a google search for RHS Chatsworth Exhibitors does indeed take you straight there:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/shows-events/rhs ... Exhibitors
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Chris in Leeds »

I had never heard on Ottershaw cacti and have just looked on there website and they hold three national collections see below

Daniel is a Holder of three National Plant Collections; Haworthia, Astroloba & Gasteria. This means Daniel has extensive collections of these three plant groups, most with habitat data and has to report updates annually to the NCCPG.
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
purzo
BCSS Member

Post by purzo »

Chris in Leeds wrote:Daniel is a Holder of three National Plant Collections; Haworthia, Astroloba & Gasteria. This means Daniel has extensive collections of these three plant groups, most with habitat data and has to report updates annually to the NCCPG.
Sounds very interesting, it would be nice to see some of his collections at the show. Thanks for the info Chris.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Ottershaw have been exhibiting at various RHS shows for maybe three or four years and I seem to remember that they have achieved gold medal standard. The Haworthia National Collection is based on the Steve Stringer collection that must have been assembled around 25 years ago.
purzo
BCSS Member

Post by purzo »

How does the National Collection Scheme work? Can there be more than one National Collection of a genus? I thought Brian Fearn of Abbey Brook Cacti in Matlock had the (or "a") National Collection of Haworthia?
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

purzo wrote:How does the National Collection Scheme work? Can there be more than one National Collection of a genus? I thought Brian Fearn of Abbey Brook Cacti in Matlock had the (or "a") National Collection of Haworthia?
Hi Gary,
Yes, there can be more than one.
See:
http://www.nccpg.com/National-Collections.aspx for more information.
In fact, there are 3 Haworthia National Collections - Brian Fearn, Daniel Jackson and Harry Mak.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
purzo
BCSS Member

Post by purzo »

Hi Tony,
interesting, thanks for clearing that up. My wife and I saw Brian Fearn's collections last week, we were very impressed and more than a little jealous of his plants but we did come away with a tray full of new plants to cheer us up :grin:

We'd like to see Mr Mak's Haworthia collection too and being so close this coming Saturday when we go to the North West Cactus market it's a pity we couldn't do both but it's too late to arrange now of course.

Thanks again.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests