Seller List - South East Cactus Mart Saturday April 7th 2018

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
apple
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Seller List - South East Cactus Mart Saturday April 7th 2018

Post by apple »

South East Cactus Mart Saturday April 7th 2018 .
Swalecliffe Community Centre ,19 St Johns Road ,Whitstable,Kent,CT5 2QU.
Two large halls packed with top UK nurseries and sellers of Cacti and Succulents .
Open from 10am until 3pm.
Ample free parking all day at venue or in surrounding roads .
Adults £1 Children free .
Refreshments available all day.
45 minute drive from Dartford crossing
40 minute drive from Channel Tunnel
2 minutes walk from Chestfield and Swalecliffe Station, main line trains from Victoria.
Nurseries and sellers booked so far include ###
Bryan and Linda Goody - Southfields - Cactusland (Nursery grown plants)The largest cactus nursery in the UK.Massive stock of home propagated plants.
Dave and Lyn Appleton-Desert Plants UK ( Nursery grown plants) Many new and different plants from one of the UK's newest nurseries.
Stuart Riley -Plantlife (Nursery grown plants and imports including many US hybrids and variegates)Always something new from this long established nursery.
Ralph Northcott -The Cactus Shop (Nursery grown plants and imports ,also carnivorous plants).Large stock at very reasonable prices,a wealth of growing expertise.
John Pilbeam -Connoisseurs Cacti (Nursery grown plants and own books)The most prolific and arguably the best author of cacti and succulent plant books the UK has produced to date.
Doug Sizmur -Kent Cacti (Nursery grown plants)A wide and varied range of plants from a very experienced grower.
Bill Darbon - Oxford BCSS ( Members propagations) Wide ranging and unusual stock from members of one of the UK's top clubs
Graham Charles (Plant sales,mainly own grown plants from habitat seed) Well grown and documented stock. Author of probably the best book on Gymnocalyiums and leading authority on South American Cacti amongst others.
David Neville (Plant sales ,own grown plants and imports) Always brings an interesting and varied mix of cacti and succulents
Carlos Zeferino - Woodside Cacti (Nursery grown plants and imports) A wide ranging plant selection from this knowledgeable and enthusiastic grower
Tony and Suzanne Mace -Mace Cacti (Nursery grown and ex collection plants)Very knowledgeable growers with years of experience . Also Mesemb Study Group info etc.
Fiona Wemyns (Plant sales and Artistic bowl gardens)
Craig Barber -Williams Cactus (An assortment of own grown and imported plants) Enthusiastic grower of many interesting and rare plants
Graham Evans (Plant sales,mostly own grown)Another very experienced grower.
Richard Baker (Plant sales including many forms of carnivorous plants.
Vicky and Chris Davies - V & C Cacti (Own grown seed raised plants) Very good growers. Top quality seed grown plants.
Costas Papthanasiou (Plant sales,mostly own grown)Good quality and vaired range of plants .
Event organised and run by Herne Bay Branch, BCSS.
More info - Dave Appleton ,Herne Bay Branch Secretary.Email- davejappleton@hotmail.co
apple
BCSS Member

Re: Seller List - South East Cactus Mart Saturday April 7th 2018

Post by apple »

Mart ad a[pril 18.pdf
(46.69 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
apple
BCSS Member

Post by apple »

Never to early to get the signs out ,just over a month to go.
Attachments
DSCN1643.JPG
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

apple wrote:Never to early to get the signs out ,just over a month to go.
One day too early, though. Tomorrow is the start of the meteorological spring.
Snow and still winter (-10 at night up here, currently) feels a bit like teasing!
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

Only a week to go - at least seventeen nurseries - last year the attendance figures were almost 500 - with the amount of advertising it could well go over that amount this year. Looks like this will be the biggest cactus sale of the year in the UK. It's not quite ELK but for the UK probably as near as we'll get other than at the National Show.
Stuart
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Keith H »

Getting very close and this time I hope to make it, I have not been to a cactus mart before as there has always been family events happening on the same day. :cool:
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Keith H »

Keith H wrote:Getting very close and this time I hope to make it, I have not been to a cactus mart before as there has always been family events happening on the same day. :cool:
I made it. (tu)
Wow was it busy first thing though it did seem to quieten down a bit after the first hour or so. I bought a few nice plants, quite a mixed bag, some how Avonia was the most represented genera in my purchases, all nice young seed raised plants so something to look forward to.
Thank you Apple for all your hard work before and I expect on the day of the event.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

This event shows what is possible with enthusiasm and publicity, a record attendance well over 500, if those who came in without paying, nurserymen, and all the children who didn't have to pay were added in, the recorded total would have been over 600. This was probably the highest attendance for any cactus event apart from the National Show. I had to go back to the van just before 10am and the queue was round three sides of the building. Advertising included four weeks of local press, posters, banners and - not to be missed - the saguaros! At these events it's always good to see lots of familiar faces but at Herne Bay there were hundreds of unfamiliar faces! Many BCSS events seem to be just for members only, this shows what is possible when we tell the public what we're up to. Well done Dave, Lyn and the rest of Herne Bay Branch.
Stuart
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Martin »

Agreed great event yesterday well done to all the organising team

Martin
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection
RogerF
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON

Post by RogerF »

Another superb event Dave but it quickly became too crowded to be able to peruse in depth all the plants on offer. Despite that, as usual, I managed to spend much more than intended.
Sorry that Ralph from Cactus Shop (my favourite seller) couldn't make it - hope your crankshaft gets sorted in time for Havering.
Speaking of Havering, please don't forget the E.Cante Stuart.
Is the Edenbridge event in October confirmed now Dave?