Ron Bates (Kingston-on-Thames)

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
Diane
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Ron Bates (Kingston-on-Thames)

Post by Diane »

Sadly, I have just received the news that Ron Bates, the Chairman of Kingston-on-Thames branch died yesterday.
He had been in hospital for a number of weeks, having been in failing health for quite some time (we think he was 87).
He had been a stalwart of the Society, having been Secretary of Kingston branch from 1973 to 2001, and Chairman from 2001 to the present. He took part in many events, helping to organise major events in the 1980's, and helped promote the Society in smaller ways at local horticultural events. In recognition of his support, he was awarded the Robert Holt Meritorious Award in 2003.
We shall miss Ron, and offer our condolences to his family.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Sylvia
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Ron Bates (Kingston-on-Thames)

Post by Sylvia »

I knew Ron Bates since I joined the Society in 1977 and attended the Kingston upon Thames Branch. He always welcomed new members with enthusiasm and encouragement. As Diane has mentioned he promoted the Society and the Branch whenever and wherever he could. I kept in touch with Ron after we moved here to Somerset 11 years ago. In fact I spoke with him just before Christmas, will miss our chats Ron. R.I.P. Ron.
Sylvia in Somerset growing cacti and succulents since 1977