Birmingham Branch

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
Andyh
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Birmingham Branch

Post by Andyh »

Our February Birmingham Branch meeting was really well attended.
With unpredictable weather in February we hedged our bets and organised a cactus and succulent film night.
We watched a brilliant National Geographic DVD about the ecology of the Sonoran Desert – which included quite a bit about Saguaro cacti. There was much footage of the raw life of the creatures and amazing adaptations of the plants keeping us all in awe – there were moments of shock, relief and pure joy. I had introduced the health warning about predators, but neglected to mention the mating scenes. There was much laughter, randomly through-out.

After the usual refreshment break – with popcorn we then watched two short films from the
CareTakers series. SANBI South Africa National Biodiversity Institute part support them.
We watched The Collectors featuring Ernst van Jaarsveld and James Deacon from Kirstenbosche - programme about plant hunting; as well as Knersvlakte – a film about the challenges facing communities regarding agriculture and conservation in the wonderful succulent rich Knersvlakte.

Films can be seen at from http://www.caretakers.co.za/films/
All their films are excellent and some may suit being shown at group meetings. They also have supplementary educational material. They can be downloaded for education purposes.

I am sure we will have another film night in 2020.

Next month Tue 19th March – 7pm for 730 - Gardening with Succulents by Paul Spracklin
Attachments
Sanbi credit
Sanbi credit
Succulent.jpg (11.17 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
National Geographic Film
National Geographic Film
Sonoran.jpg (52.87 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: Birmingham Branch

Post by Apicra »

Hi Andy,

I'm interested in repeating this for my BCSS branch. We have enjoyed DVD film evenings in the past, thanks to our member David Minnion. I see that the CareTakers films are intended for use by "facilitators" in educational establishments. Did you attempt to have a discussion between members afterwards about the issues raised by each film?

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Andyh
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Re: Birmingham Branch

Post by Andyh »

Hi Derek...we didnt simply because we crammed 3 films into the evening. I think that would work though. The educational material that you can download is quite thought provoking. Im now looking out for other desert type documentaries for a film night in 2020!
Andy