Beechgrove Garden

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Beechgrove Garden

Post by Paul D »

We had Carole Baxter and the Beechgrove Garden film team here last week, filming the collection for the programme. It is due to be broadcast on 23rd May at 8 p.m., on the new BBC Scotland channel, and then repeated on BBC2 the following Sunday at 9 a.m. I gave BCSS a good plug so I hope it results in a few more members!
Attachments
20190509_123439.jpg
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Beechgrove Garden

Post by juster »

Thanks for letting us know Paul, I've noted down the date and time for us in the south and will record it.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Yup ... likewise.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

Thanks for letting us know. We us usually record Beechgrove so I had better check it is set to record. I may tweet it out.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Beechgrove Garden is such an excellent programme. I shall be watching next Sunday morning.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

A much superior programme to "Gardeners' World" and it is a shame that the BBC essentially hides it away in their schedules.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Terry S. wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:41 am A much superior programme to "Gardeners' World" and it is a shame that the BBC essentially hides it away in their schedules.
I just set it to 'Record Series' on my FreeSat+ box then I can watch at a time to suit me at my leisure and don't miss it!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Tony R wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:16 am
Terry S. wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:41 am A much superior programme to "Gardeners' World" and it is a shame that the BBC essentially hides it away in their schedules.
I just set it to 'Record Series' on my FreeSat+ box then I can watch at a time to suit me at my leisure and don't miss it!
I can get the BBC Scotland channel on my Virgin Media box so like Tony I have a series link setup to record it in case I forget Thursday night (or the BBC2 repeat Sunday morning)
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:04 pm
Tony R wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:16 am
I can get the BBC Scotland channel on my Virgin Media box so like Tony I have a series link setup to record it in case I forget Thursday night (or the BBC2 repeat Sunday morning)
You can watch it on your TV or computer on BBC iplayer. You need to log in but its free if you have a TV licence as far as I am aware. I haven't used it myself so can't be 100% sure. People keep telling me about it so I did a search for it.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

It is in iPlayer - you are supposed to have a TV licence but there are no checks, only problem is that the programme may only be available to view online for a short time and if you download it it can also have a limited life.
beechgrove.JPG
iplayer downloads.JPG
Edit

Just realised I was looking at the special programme on the history of Beechgrove which the BBC had under The Beechgrove Garden, just searched for Beechgrove and it shows the weekly programme - looks like episode 1 is no longer available
beechgrove 2.JPG