Hi all

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
mostly
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CHELMSFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hi all

Post by mostly »

Just a short note to say hello to everyone on the forum. I've recently been bitten by the Cactus bug and have a small collection of ten so far and I'm rapidly running out of window ledge space! I recently saw a fascinating short film on the mathematics involved in plants which prompted me to take the attached picture of some of my Cacti.

I'm looking forward to participating in the forums and learning a lot more! Chris.
Cacti_CC.jpg
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Hi all

Post by Cactus Jack »

Hi Chris , Welcome , great photo !!
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

Hi Chris - :welc: to the forum! Your collection of 10 is bound to expand now you are on the forum you know! Great photo!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi Chris

Welcome (I think) but do we need another great photographer!!I'm only jealous - again!!
Jane O
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Neat!
Cheshire, UK
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Nice to meet you Chris. Bit of good photography! 8-)
mostly
BCSS Member

Post by mostly »

Hi everyone, many thanks for the lovely warm welcome and your kind words! I'm very much looking forward to expanding my small collection and learning more about these fascinating plants! :)
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Fantastic photos on your website Chris, a real treat. No one has mentioned the maths yet though. Count the number of spirals in opposite directions and they should be two adjacent numbers on the Fibonacci series, e.g. 8 and 13 or 13 and 21. I'm a bit worried about that Mammillaria top left - it seems to have 17 spirals going one way. Maybe it's my eyes. Looking forward to seeing more photos of your plants.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
mostly
BCSS Member

Post by mostly »

Thanks Phil! Did you see that wonderful short film?

the series is also within us (ratio of length of finger bones to each other) and even in the shape of our ears (http://hynesva.com/blogs/character_and_ ... spiral.jpg) I find that all very fascinating!

I'm succumbing to the urge to revisit my local garden centers Cactus section this morning - I'd originally promised that today would be spent tidying up the garden now that the weathers turned Spring like (before it snows again ::o) But the lure of Astrophytums and a rather nice Cereus(?) they have is stronger! :)
Joy G
BCSS Member

Post by Joy G »

you will find you will get bitten by the cactophile bug I started with just a few and now have 1/2 a greenhouse full and always have a peek at the garden centers for new acquisitions.

Any questions ask away someone will have an answer or a funny story for you
Rev Joy
enjoying keeping Mamms, Eurphorbias and wee spiny beasties

Bradford UK
BCSS number 49386