I'm new here

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
KeithB
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

I'm new here

Post by KeithB »

Hi everyone,

I'm Keith (never!!) and at present, live in Stourport with my wife and have two boys (9 and 15). Other than plants, I love wildlife, especially birds!

I'm virtually a total beginner, but have been given the bug from someone on another general forum, which I'm not on now. Not being on there now, I need continued advice and where better to come, than the experts eh? I've started with a beginner set of three from a large retail outlet and since have bought a nice Euphorbia Pentagona. The three are an Opuntia, Lemaireocereus marginatus and a Mammillaria, nothing special, but they started me off! I planted them in a mixed bowl, but thinking about putting them back into individual pots again. I like Aloes, but only have two 'ordinary' ones, atm. Only thing I really need now, is a large greenhouse, so I can really get a collection together! I don't even have a small one. I have always been fascinated by Cacti and even tried to grow some from seed as a teenager, with little or no success and would love to have another go. They were a mixed set from a local G/C, so maybe that was where I went wrong.

Before they went into the mixed pot.

The Euphorbia

Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: I'm new here

Post by Diane »

Hiya Keith! A big :welc: to the forum! You may be a beginner, but stick with us and you'll soon progress.

A greenhouse is pretty essential, though you will see that some of us manage on windowsills, too. If you have the space for one, make it the largest you can manage! This passion of ours can take over a bit!

Your three plants are looking good, but as you have realised, they will be better off in their own pots.

Do keep reading, and don't be shy to post questions, we don't bite, and will help you as much as possible!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

Hi Keith,
welcome, from another birder and a cactus (& succulent) nut. There are some very helpful people here.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Keith & :welc:
If you fancy trying seed growing again, have a look at the forum seed pool. All it costs is a couple of stamps.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
KeithB

Post by KeithB »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I will have a look at the seed section, but really need to learn more before I waste any seed. I've got some more compost, so the plants will get returned to their individual pots this week.
Ray_M
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK
Role within the BCSS: Publications Manager

Post by Ray_M »

A very warm welcome Keith,you will get lots of useful advice here and before you know it,you;ll be hooked.Good luck,Ray.
Ray Mitchell,member of South Norfolk group.living on Suffolk/Norfolk border,near Diss.Keen on all cacti and succulents,alpines and other plants.BCSS member since 07.Visitors welcome,PM first please.
KeithB

Post by KeithB »

Thanks Ray, I'm sort of hooked already, if I'm honest. I used to go to the garden centres and head straight for the garden plants outside, especially the ornamental grasses, but recently it's been via the Cacti and Succulent section, first. :smile:
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

HI Keith, nice to meet you. I travelled down from north Shropshire yesterday, to Ashwood Nurseries, which isn't too far from you. Super place, I bought four trees but did spot that they had some nice cacti supplied from Abbey Brook cactus in Matlock.
KeithB

Post by KeithB »

Thanks Peter. Apologies, as I thought I had replied to this earlier! :oops:

I don't think that is too far from us and will try and check the nursery out, maybe during the kids summer holidays.