Hello again!!!!

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
sue46
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hello again!!!!

Post by sue46 »

Hello everyone. I joined the BCSS in the 80s. Due to lack of funds, I had to cancel it. The plants I had unfortunately died after they froze in an unheated part of the house we now live in. However, after buying a couple of cacti in our local Co-op store last year (the names I am not sure of and am still trying to find out!), I was once again bitten by the bug so this year I have rejoined the BCSS. So far I have had some success from old mixed species seed (should have been sown by 1992). This was sown in early August and look like they could be done with pricking out soon - which was always a problem with my earlier attempts at seed sowing.

Of all the plants I lost, the one I would very much like to find - plant, seed or both - is that of the very first plant I was ever brought - by my parents at Shrewsbury flower show (circa 1979) which was Mammillaria Rekoi v auriespina Lau 1055. Can any one help or point me in the right direction of where I could still get this plant.

I have an old A4 notebook where I have kept a record from 1979 to present day of all plants I owned, seed I had ordered and sowed (but never had any success).

So hello everyone, I am glad to be back with you all. Sue
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Hello again!!!!

Post by Diane »

Hi Sue, :welb: ! Caught by the bug again, eh? It's known to happen! Sorry I can't help with your wants, I'm sure somebody might come up with an offer. If you need IDs for anything, just post a pic on the forum, it usually gets a result!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Welcome back Sue. I'm sure many members of this forum will do their best to help you. Make yourself comfortable & all that jazz :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
JST
BCSS Member
Branch: COVENTRY

Post by JST »

Hi Sue

Like you, I was a member in the early 80's and have had a similar experience with lack of funds, losing plants in cold weather, and replacing them from a supermarket (Lidl had a lovely Notocactus magnificus and Mammillaria camptotricha plants at £3..99 earlier this summer!). I rejoined last month and this is my first post on the forums.

I still had a dozen or so plants struggling on from my early days, though most had lost their labels. However, with the benefit of the internet, I have been able to confirm that one of my old Mamms is in fact M rekoi v aureispina! It is about 13cm tall and 8cm wide and, after a bit of TLC this spring, flowered for the first time in years.

Not sure where you can get hold of it now, though, so sorry I can't help in that respect, but I'll keep an eye open and will let you have some seeds if mine sets any.
BCSS member 49864
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Hi Sue and welcome back.

I reckon that the plants you bought at the Co-op were Co-opiapoas!

Boom-boom!
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Lindsey »

Peter Turner wrote:I reckon that the plants you bought at the Co-op were Co-opiapoas!
I was plant-chatting recently and I said "Somerfield" nursery... I meant Southfields (Lincs) :oops:

Hi Sue and welcome, anyway. I had a Mamm on my windowsill at home in my boarding-school days, I was pleased and surprised when it flowered. Gymnos and epiphytics are my preferred cacti these days, Mamms are a bit spiny :???:
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
Dave_S
BCSS Member

Post by Dave_S »

Welcome Sue....... :grin:
Lithops cultivars and Conophytums...Admin for Lithops U.K. on Facebook
A member of the MSG and the Echinopsis Hybrid Swap Circle (find us on Facebook)

AVATAR: Lithops verruculosa 'Rose of Texas'
Ray_M
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK
Role within the BCSS: Publications Manager

Post by Ray_M »

A very warm welcome to the forum Sue,and welcome back to our obsessive hobby,i'm sure some one here can point you in the right direction for your wanted plant.Good luck,Ray.
Ray Mitchell,member of South Norfolk group.living on Suffolk/Norfolk border,near Diss.Keen on all cacti and succulents,alpines and other plants.BCSS member since 07.Visitors welcome,PM first please.
sue46
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by sue46 »

Thanks for all your good wishes!

Peter nice joke!!!

JST yes I think one of mind was M. Camptotrich at £3.99 as well!

Just a thought. Where I use to live, and until about 2004 here, the houses I lived in did not have any heating except one coal fire and electric heaters. We now have gas central heating (blissss!) and do any users think cacti should be watered throughout the winter? Some plants in my own bed room (including my seedlings which I am hoping to try and prick out soon) receive direct sun all year round but as the room gets warm with the sun I don't raise the temp of the radiator.

I have managed to actually find my first plant (Westcliffe I think it was originally called but changed name, used a link on here).

Sue
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

I've been taught that most of cacti preffer dark & cold winter. It gives them needed rest and positively affect flowering. So most of my collection goes to basement from late fall to early spring. Someone else will probably treat them more or less differently. Fact is, they dont grow all 365 days in wild, even them do need rest sometimes :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/