Hello again - its been a long time!

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
JST
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CORNWALL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hello again - its been a long time!

Post by JST »

Hi there

I'm Jacqui from Newquay and I have rejoined after at least 25 years. I was last in the society in the early 80s, and won a few prizes at the Cornwall Branch show each year for about 6 years. Although I had to give up on going to branch open days and on my membership of the society, and lost a great many plants when my heater failed during a particularly cold winter, I kept a few plants struggling on and this spring gave them a lot of TLC, being rewarded with several flushes of flowers, which revived my passion.

The internet is a wonderful thing and I have increased my stock of Echinopsis hybrids, Mammillarias and Echinocereus in particular. I have even picked up some lovely specimens of Notocactus magnificus and Mammillaria camptotricha in Lidl's - I only went in to buy orange juice!

One plant from my early days that still had its label is Chamaelobivia 'Marina's Orange', which I can't track down on the internet. Have I got the name wrong, or has it disappeared from people's collections? The original plant had suffered somewhat from scorching and so I plucked up the courage to remove a dozen offsets which are now rooted. If anyone is a Chamaelobivia collector and can help me with information about this one, I would be grateful.

Anyway, it's great to be back!

Jacqui
BCSS member 49864
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Hello again - its been a long time!

Post by Diane »

Hi Jacqui, :welb: we seem to be welcoming back quite a few cactophiles recently! I see you have posted on Sue46's intruductory thread - you both seem to have much in common. Anyway, you will find a wealth of information here, don't be shy about using it, and enjoy!!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Is it a part of the year that attracts 'rejoiners' or what? Just kidding, welcome aboard JST :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Hi Jacqui, nice to meet you.

I reckon that Chamaelobivia 'Marina's Orange' will have been one of the plants produced by Westfield Cacti when they were based in the South West. Whilst my memory nowadays maddens me, I believe that the owner's wife at that time was called Marina.

After they split up he moved to Wallingford in Surrey. He is trading as Westfield Cacti Online Shop. You can see his current plant lists on his web site (via the BCSS website). This includes his Chamaecereus hybrids and you may be able to obtain 'Marina's Orange' if you ask him nicely.
JST
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL

Post by JST »

Thanks, Peter, that all starts to ring a bell now, I think they were based near Exeter? Anyway, I now have 12 little 'Marina's Orange' all rooted, but just could not find any reference to this hybrid
BCSS member 49864
Dave_S
BCSS Member

Post by Dave_S »

:welb: Jacqui

Another Echinopsis hybrid fan......... :wink:

Dave
Lithops cultivars and Conophytums...Admin for Lithops U.K. on Facebook
A member of the MSG and the Echinopsis Hybrid Swap Circle (find us on Facebook)

AVATAR: Lithops verruculosa 'Rose of Texas'