Hello - just joined

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Amanda W
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: READING & BASINGSTOKE

Hello - just joined

Post by Amanda W »

Greetings. I joined the BCSS last year and have finally got round to joining the Forum.
I'm interested in Crassula and have madly decided to set myself the challenge of aiming for National Collection Status. I'm fairly new to collecting - 2 years - and have a small, but growing collection. I've recently moved house (after two years of trying to sell) so I'm now finally in the position to start collecting on a grander scale. First things first, I'm busy looking at greenhouses, and would welcome any advice on what to look for.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Hello - just joined

Post by Diane »

Hi Amanda, :welc: to the forum! Good luck with your Crassula project, quite an undertaking!

As far as greenhouses go, aim for the largest your garden can accomodate, (and you can afford), and a good quality one, which will be expensive. There are several makes you could go for, I'm sure other forumites will give good advice. My own is a Robinson's Professional, but there are others.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Welcome to the Forum, Amanda. I see you come from Reading and Basingstoke branch, so I hope you have Gordon Rowley's excellent book on Crassula. I grow quite a few crassula so if you are looking for anything in particular (next Spring or earlier) let me know by PM.

Cheers,
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Amanda W
BCSS Member

Post by Amanda W »

Thanks for your advice Diane. We've looked at Alitex and Griffin so far and waiting for both to draw up a plan, but I'll look at the Robinson ones too.
Amanda W
BCSS Member

Post by Amanda W »

Tony - thanks for your welcome. Oooh, would love some more Crassula!
Yes, I am proud to say I have a signed copy of Gordon's book and he has very kindly given me lots of advice and allowed me to take cuttings from his collection. I feel very honoured.
I'm planning to go to Lindley Library soon to look for other worthwhile books, particularly the Tolken one.

So nice to chat to other people at last!
Morgans Beauty
Registered Guest

Post by Morgans Beauty »

hi amanda welcome here :wink: i also growing some little crassulas especially the small ones like ausensis, deceptor and a buddhas temple and also some bonsais of several ovatas :mrgreen:
regards michael
Amanda W
BCSS Member

Post by Amanda W »

That's interesting. A friend at Sparsholt suggested that I could grow some of the crassula as bonsai to save on space. How do you go about bonsaing a plant??
Ray_M
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK
Role within the BCSS: Publications Manager

Post by Ray_M »

Welcome Amanda,get the biggest greenhouse,then extend it,you still won't have enough room after a few years.Good luck,Ray.
Ray Mitchell,member of South Norfolk group.living on Suffolk/Norfolk border,near Diss.Keen on all cacti and succulents,alpines and other plants.BCSS member since 07.Visitors welcome,PM first please.
Morgans Beauty
Registered Guest

Post by Morgans Beauty »

hello amanda,

here are my little trees, hummels sunset, ovata and arborescens ;-) the bigger pots are 21cm in diameter! don't worry about this ugly pots, i will repot them next spring (tu)
Attachments
20101108-084053-292.jpg
20101108-084048-336.jpg
regards michael