Hi everybody!

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Sinningia
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hi everybody!

Post by Sinningia »

Hello all, I have only recently joined this wonderful forum but have been reading it for a while now.
I live in Hampshire, but quite close to Surrey.
I am very interested in caudiciforms and have a nice little collection of plants all of which I grew from seeds. I find it exptremely exciting to grow plants from seeds and to see their development from the very first moment.
Unfortunately I can't extend my collection too much as I'm living in an appartment so my ''planting space'' is limited to the three window sills. The good thing is that some of my plants go dormant in winter (so can be stored in a dark corner somewhere) and in sommer all of them are being ''kicked out'' to the balcony.
I'm looking forward to our future online communication!
Anna, Hants, UK
Morgans Beauty
Registered Guest

Re: Hi everybody!

Post by Morgans Beauty »

you are very welcome sinningia (tu) let's take a look at your caudies :mrgreen:
regards michael
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Welcome Sinningia. I'm sure you will find a lot of helpful info here. As I hope we'll get to learn something from you too. :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Sinningia
Registered Guest

Post by Sinningia »

Thanks guys!
The caudies are all dormant now, except for the babies. But normally they are waking up after X-mas, so as soon as they get a couple of leaves I will show you some nice fat bellies :grin:
Anna, Hants, UK
sue46
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by sue46 »

Hi Sinningia, welcome to the forum :smile: You will find plenty of help and advice here. I have just returned to growing cacti again after quite a few years away and have a few - new - plants also on windowsills. I have a seedtray on my very sunny bedroom window growing away. I too enjoy watching them grow from seed but they have never lasted through the winter - I am keeping my fingers crossed they will survive!
Sinningia
Registered Guest

Post by Sinningia »

sue46 wrote:Hi Sinningia, welcome to the forum :smile: You will find plenty of help and advice here. I have just returned to growing cacti again after quite a few years away and have a few - new - plants also on windowsills. I have a seedtray on my very sunny bedroom window growing away. I too enjoy watching them grow from seed but they have never lasted through the winter - I am keeping my fingers crossed they will survive!
Thanks Sue!
Before the seeds germinate I keep the tray in a warm place as it can get really cold on the window sill at night. I keep mine next to the TV as the TV is on quite a lot, so it's nice and warm from all the gadgets :lol:
Once they have germinated I put them on a brighter spot and later on - on the window sill. But in the evening I always put a sheet of bubble rap between the plants and the glas as this keeps the cold away from the babies (at least on the coldest nights). There are still some ''casualties'' every now and than, but definitely less than withouth the protection.
Anna, Hants, UK
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Lindsey »

Hi and welcome. I don't grow caudiciforms as such, but some Adromischus with tuberous roots can look pseudo-caudex-ish. Also some Othonna and Tylecodon, I think, but I only dabble in these.
You'll find plenty of folks on here who'll enjoy chat about TCPs (Turnips, Carrots, Parsnips) :D and they do look so good when well grown. Do post a few photos!
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
Sinningia
Registered Guest

Post by Sinningia »

Thanks Lindsey!
I have some othonnas - just babies. Have posted a question about them in an other thread already, hopefully somebody will have answers.
Sure, will post some pics later on, as soon as they have a couple of leaves on them, otherwhise they look just like a rock in a pot :lol:
I also have a couple of sinningias (the once with nice caudexes of course!) - I've put an ad for a give away Sinningia baby, as have a little bit too many of them after very successful germination.
I might get inspired by the prickly friends after all as I see how passionate people on this forum are about the cacti.
Anna, Hants, UK
sue46
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by sue46 »

I sowed mine in August. Just a normal half seedtray with a plastic lid I got in Wilkinsons! Yes, I suppose I should move mine (and cacti off window sill now). It does get very sunny on there. I did post a picture somewhere else on the forum with a photo (though it only showed a few).
Andy Hood
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Andy Hood »

Hello there and welcome :grin:
BCSS No 39768