What have I got myself into??!

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Samuel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: What have I got myself into??!

Post by Samuel »

SaiBon wrote:No water at all until spring?! That's amazing! Baffling even!
Most of the water in a cactus is well away from the skin. Take, say, a spider plant fitting in a 6" pot. No part of the plant is more than a couple of millimetres away from the surface, and no part of the leaves is more than a fraction of a millimetre away from the air. In contrast, a cactus the size and shape of a marble has most of its mass a couple of millimetres or more away from the skin, and is further protected from water loss by thick skin.

Leafy plants have a huge surface area and a metabolism to match. Their branches and such are comparable to the spaces inside a lung, and you've probably read that the average lung has the same surface area as a tennis court. A cactus is more akin to the outer surface of the lung, and you'd be lucky if it had as much surface area as the rackets. :smile:
Dave_S
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Dave_S »

:welc: SaiBon....from another Midlander!

Dave
Lithops cultivars and Conophytums...Admin for Lithops U.K. on Facebook
A member of the MSG and the Echinopsis Hybrid Swap Circle (find us on Facebook)

AVATAR: Lithops verruculosa 'Rose of Texas'
georged
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by georged »

Welcome SaiBon.

Most cacti like a period of rest over winter. Keep it cool as well as dry until March when it will start growing again and reward you with those flowers.
George
Uckfield, East Sussex. Small but varied collection of cacti, succulents and a few others.
SaiBon
Registered Guest

Post by SaiBon »

Thank you all very much for your kind replies, and sorry that I've not been on to reply myself until now. I have been on briefly every now and then to check replies but haven't sat still long enough to type a few words until now.

I am a little worried that perhaps I am keeping the plant too warm. How cool is cool? I put my homebrew thermometer on the window sill this morning next to the plant and it is reading 21°C in my living room at the moment. Am I confusing the plant by having my house that warm do you think?

Thanks again for all the replies.
Thord
Registered Guest

Post by Thord »

First-welcome to the Forum saiBon! When looking at the picture of your mammillaria it seems that it´s planted in what looks like peat-is that correct? If so,you should repot it soonest,because peat stays wet for too long and is very hard to rewet when dry.You´ll find a lot of information on substrate under "cultivation".
And yes it´s all too easy to get hooked on this hobby....
Thord. All kinds of smallgrowing cacti.
SaiBon
Registered Guest

Post by SaiBon »

Thord, thank you for the welcome. I've no idea what the mammillaria is planted in, even to look at or feel the soil I wouldn't know what I am looking at. I will take a look at substrate recomendations under cultivation, thank you, and perhaps will go ahead and repot to be on the safe side?