Hi from Costa Rica!

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Patricia-CR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hi from Costa Rica!

Post by Patricia-CR »

Hello,I'm a newbie here. I'm from Costa Rica. I live near a volcano (Poas Volcano), at around 1500 (+/- 50) m altitude, 15 to 25 ºC year round except for some slight fluctuations if it's summer or winter in the northern hemisphere. Cacti (or cactuses?) are part of our flora. I've been a cactus fan and a cultivating learner for over 15 years (we never stop learning! :wink: ). I have a GH to protect a small collection from our terrible rainy season. I prefer small cactus rather than the larger ones because of the space and difficulty in handling them, though I have a few large ones.

I'll try to get acquainted with this community and how everything works around here. It'll take a while, but I'm excited to be here, to hear from your experiences and learn.

Patricia
Pat :cac2:
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Re: Hi from Costa Rica!

Post by AnTTun »

Many rivers (and few seas) you have crossed to come here Patricia :) Welcome indeed.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Morgans Beauty
Registered Guest

Post by Morgans Beauty »

better to live in costa rica than in germany :shock: i hate snow....but you're very welcome patricia (tu) :grin:
regards michael
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

Hi Patricia, :welc: to the forum! What a wonderful country you live in, full of exotic flora and fauna!

We look forward to hearing more from you, and maybe seeing some pics of your plants (and country!)
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Patricia-CR
BCSS Member

Post by Patricia-CR »

Thanks for your welcome! Very kind of you. Glad to be here. Yes, I'm kind of far away from most of you, but it's amazing what ties us together: the love/obsession for these succulent plants (tu) There's no distance in that!
Botanist
Registered Guest

Post by Botanist »

Hi Patricia, nice to meet you.
I have send some cuttings of Hoya-plants to a friend over there and they will flower for the first time now. I am sure they can grow verry easy there, and I hope to visit your country one of thise following years as there is a direct charterflight now. :welc:
Last edited by Botanist on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interezst for Aloe, Agave, Ariocarpus, Aztekium, Dorstenia, Euphorbia, Encephalocarpus, Haworthia, Hoya, Sansevieria and tropical orchids. You can find some fotoalbums here: http://picasaweb.google.com/emilio.botaniste
I live in Belgium.
Patricia-CR
BCSS Member

Post by Patricia-CR »

Hi Botanist, nice to meet you too. Good for your friend! It's difficult to introduce any alive plant here, especially by mail. Usually only seeds are allowed. Whenever I travel, I bring a lot of cacti and other small plants with me, that's how I have made my collection. When I can't travel, then I buy seeds and slooowly grow them from seeds. There are cacti in the nurseries here, but usually they always have the same ones.

Thanks!
Andy Hood
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Andy Hood »

Hello and welcome to the forum
BCSS No 39768
Patricia-CR
BCSS Member

Post by Patricia-CR »

HI, Andy, and thanks!
Roger Mann
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL

Post by Roger Mann »

Hello and :welc:
B.C.S.S Member 32963 Clacton on Sea Branch and Sedum Society .CSSA long time member also Alpine Garden Society. I collect Sedums and Opuntias large and small. I live in Essex and also go to Chelmsford branch meetings. :grin: :grin: Roger Mann.