Hi Everybody

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Dude
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hi Everybody

Post by Dude »

I bought my first Aloe, I have not ID it, yet 3 years ago. Then a bought various cactus and succulents when I liked something from my local flower shop. I then kinda started collecting cactus and succulents seriosuly a couple of months ago.

I joined this forum to lean more about cactus and succulents and to talk with people have have the same hobby and know there stuff.

just two days ago a found Mealy bugs in 4 of my plants! So that's the most urgent matter at the moment. From what I have come up with on Mealy bugs on google, it's almost easier to just throw the 4 plants out to elimate the threat rather than to start treating the plants.

I have no names for the 4 plants, all I know is 2 of them are Huernia. I am quite fond of them, so if I can save them it would be best.

For the moment I have isolated the plants in a room for themselves, until I know what to do with them.

image hosting without registration
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Hi Everybody

Post by rodsmith »

Hi Dude. Sorry no-one has welcomed you onto the forum yet, so welcome to the forum!

Mealy bugs are one of the most common pests of cacti & succulents but a modest infestation can be quite easily controlled. If the infestation is slight, you can dab individual MBs and their eggs with Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) or methylated spirits (use a dropper, a cotton wool stick or a small paintbrush). Just a dab will be enough to penetrate the waxy coating and kill them. For larger infections and to prevent recurrence you can water the plant(s) with a systemic insecticide, suitably diluted. I don't know where you live but in the UK Bug Clear seems to work pretty well. For other insecticides you need to check the label to ensure that it will kill MBs.

I hope this is helpful.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Dude
Registered Guest

Post by Dude »

Thank you for the Welcome Rod Smith.

Thanks for the information on the mealy bugs. it's the first time I got them, I'm fairly new to the hobby so they caught me by surprise.
Cactushunter
Registered Guest
Branch: DOVER

Post by Cactushunter »

I am like yourself and my obsession with cacti seemed to advance rather quickly! As I started to get into my cacti I learnt 2 very basic things that I do with everything I buy, even though I am a complete amateur.
Repot everything. You get to check it out thoroughly and you know what soil it's in (therefore how free draining it is etc etc)
Quarantine. Not as drastic as it sounds because from what I've read none of the pests can jump or fly, I just keep a separation distance and do this for 3months.
Now that my collection is getting bigger I'm looking at the best way to systematically water with dilute insecticide so have been reading the best products to use.
Good luck with the mealy bugs, let us know what you do and what results you get
Dude
Registered Guest

Post by Dude »

Thanks for posting cactushunter.