Hi from sunny Wales.

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
paulw656
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hi from sunny Wales.

Post by paulw656 »

Hi.
Have been collecting and growing succulents , cacti and carnivorous plants for a few years now. I am mainly interested in these plants as I like something that is a bit different and a challenge (believe me it can be a challenge gowing succulents in Wales). My main plants are Aloes (Barbadensi, Variegata etc), Crassulas and pitcher plants.
I hope to share my passion with you and also to learn.......alot!!!.
Thanks and hope to chat to people soomer rather than later.
Oh by the way I have a Crassula Falcata which, after scanning the net, I have not found a single picture of. It is a normal Crassula Falcata (propella plant), but it has magenta spots on. Like I say I've been searching, but I was wondering if it just might be a variegated form of the plant or has been cross pollenated with something else any views would be appreciated. I bought the mother plant from a charity shop years ago and its still going strong its offspring are good and strong.
Attachments
Crassula Falcata with magenta spots?
Crassula Falcata with magenta spots?
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Hi from sunny Wales.

Post by rodsmith »

Welcome to the forum, Paul. Looks like you've got an unusual specimen of a propeller plant. It's possibly a hybrid.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Welcome Paul.
Perfectly normal behaviour - in my experience, falcata, or we should really say now Crassula perfoliata var. falcata, will develop purple spots particularly in stressed conditions. Mine do! There is a fine picture of one such plant taken by Derek Tribble east of Grahamstown in Gordon Rowley's Crassula book.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

Hi Paul! Working in South Africa, I'm also a fan of Crassulas, although I've very few here in the UK at present.
"Avoidance doesn't work"
Dude
Registered Guest

Post by Dude »

Welcome to the forum.
Cactushunter
Registered Guest
Branch: DOVER

Post by Cactushunter »

Hello!
Isn't it funny I also keep carnivorous plants, the types seem to go hand in hand with collectors who have a passion for the weird and wonderful. Yeah - Wales I feel for you there! UK in general is bad enough. Have you got a greenhouse or are they kept inside?