Starting again.

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
beduthkid3
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CRAWLEY

Starting again.

Post by beduthkid3 »

Hi all,
I have been bitten by the bug once more after over 25 years and am having real trouble posting my thoughts.
Can anyone help me?
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Starting again.

Post by rodsmith »

I, for one, am not a mind reader; so I'll leave your thoughts to you. :wink: Welcome to the forum.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Rayc11
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Rayc11 »

Welcome to the Forum.
RayC - South Leicestershire
Membership no:- 20774
Coventry Branch
Cactushunter
Registered Guest
Branch: DOVER

Post by Cactushunter »

Trouble posting your thoughts? You are in the best place for them, just tell people what kind of collection you have however large or small and get talking to people. Once you start to discuss things things here you will feel more comfortable. I don't get on here much due to work, but I do spend a lot of time reading people's advice.
I try to say hello to new people cuz I felt like an alien when I first came on here and in many ways I still do!
beduthkid3
Registered Guest

Post by beduthkid3 »

Hi all,
It is now over three months since I STARTED AGAIN and made my first post.I will try to be more careful in the future as to how I word my posts. (posting my thoughts).Anyway thank you rodsmith and Cactushunter for your comments.
I have about 80 cacti and a few succulents in my 8x8 greenhouse 90% of which are very young but seem to be thriving.
I have a good thermostatic fan heater and a small air circulation fan together with a 4ft. under soil cable heated sand tray and of course automatic air vents
This winter coming is a big test for me and I hope that in another 3/4 months I will be able to say yes we are up and running.
I also have three mature and two young established Epiphyllums along with several rooted cuttings which I hope to look after and keep healthy during the coming dark days of winter.
Any advice would be appreciated. :baringt:
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Hi, you seem to be doing very well with plants and the right equipment so you have made a good re-start. I try to keep my greenhouse at 5 C minimum in the winter and keep plants dry. On a fine sunny day I would open the windows, just to help air flow and ventilation. I don't have any Epiphyllums, so am not sure if they need any water or extra warmth. Good luck and let us know how you get along.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Your setup sounds ideal and I agree with Juster's comments. You can't have too much air movement. Good luck for the winter.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the forum from me and good luck for the winter. You have a nice size greenhouse, so keep the air circulating in the mild weather is my tip, and keep most plants dry. Lots of interesting tips and opinions on the forum. Even better try and get to some branch meetings and met up with others who have" been bitten by the bug"

Last bumped by beduthkid3 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:44 pm.