Intro

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
agavedave
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Intro

Post by agavedave »

I have been lurking on this forum for a long time and finally plucked up courage to register and participate.

I am in Cambridgeshre , Uk

My collection is dominated by Agaves which has been my main interest since about 2003 when confronted by an americana in full flower whilst on holiday in Portugal.

I currently have one agave that is starting to flower and trying to post regular updates on my personal web space as it happens.The strange thing is that flowers first appeared from underground shoots, something that I have not seen before.

A friend of mine suggested that this plant was once called 'Jeff's compact' - does any one know any history behind this?

The flowering agave can be seen here,
http://www.aridhouse.plus.com/parrasana_gallery.html

The rest of my collection is also there and I would welcome any constructive suggestions if any have been misidentified.

All the best
Dave
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Intro

Post by rodsmith »

Welcome to the forum, Dave, Lovely plant. Keep on taking photos of progress.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
matchat
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by matchat »

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum! It really is a great resource, I have learned a lot from here over the years and I'm sure that you will also.

I like the look of your A.parrasana. I enjoy seeing smaller Agaves in other peoples collections as I don't have much space (certainly not for most Agaves) and am always looking for inspiration.

With regards to the flowers appearing from below soil level I wonder if it could be because all the offsets have been pushed to flower as well?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Welcome to the Forum. That Agave flower is only going to get taller, have you got room to accommodate it over winter? Do keep us up to date, that sort of thing is always of interest.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
agavedave
Registered Guest

Post by agavedave »

Not much has happened over the last week in terms of height. I am hoping that the flower spike isn't too tall with this one and it can stay where it is if it goes dormant over winter. A friend of mine had a parrasana planted out in the open. It produced a flower stalk late in the season, gave up and then restarted in the spring from a side branch.

All the best
Dave
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

Hi Dave: I've seen your website before, admiring your agaves - which I also love. These are stunning plants that capture most people's attention.
"Avoidance doesn't work"