Hello! + ID help

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
heather85
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: COVENTRY

Hello! + ID help

Post by heather85 »

Hello all I'm Heather from Coventry.
I'm brand new to the hobby and my interest lies towards the non cactus side of succulents. I'm hoping to make some unique terrarium displays.
I ordered a mixed seed pack at Easter and now hv some gorgeous tiny plantlets. Id be grateful for a few rough IDs so I can research their suitability to my purpose. There is one plant type that has grown very well and looks suited to a rockery so I need to home them straight away and get the others into better drained pots.

Any and all advice is VERY WELCOME :smile: Thanks in Advance

heather85
Branch: COVENTRY

Re: Hello! + ID help

Post by heather85 »

Hmm so looking through some photo albums I'm thinking a Couple are echeveria. Not so sure of pic 3 or narrowing ANY down to exacts though! They are tiny, 1-2cm which probably doesn't help.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Hi Heather, most of your plants look like Sedums or Echeverias. They are fairly tough and can stand cold winters, so should be fine as long as they are dry. I would suggest you pot them into much more gritty compost, here we normally recommend John Innes no2 and grit, cat litter or something to keep the compost open and free-flowing. They like to be watered but not kept soggy with water retentive compost.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
CactiGuy77
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by CactiGuy77 »

Hi Heather, I live down the road from Coventry in Warwick and I'm struggling to find anywhere that sells succulent/cacti locally ... do you know of any garden centres or shops that sell them in the CV postcode ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BrianMc »

Hi Heather,

I'm not convinced that there are any Echeveria in your seed tray. I just see two types of Sedum, both of which look like hardy species to me. Keep them going for now as you are, but, as you say, they will perform better in an out door rockery or trough rather than a terrarium in the long term.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse