Newby at keeping cacti.

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Katie
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LUTON

Newby at keeping cacti.

Post by Katie »

Hello.After evicting my tortoises out of the greenhouse and into their own run.I have gone back to using my greenhouse for plants.
I have been growing tomatoes and cucumbers so much,that eventually you get so you don't want to look another cucumber in the eye.
I have now stared collecting cacti.I am trying to concentrate on ones that flower or any that are unusual.
My greenhouse is 8x6 and it's getting that I will need a bigger one.(A suggestion from my husband who needs to look out as I might take him up on that offer).
I can remember my mother having cacti and when she died I inherited her cactus orchid,which I have found out is called a Epiphyllum.Her plant was over 10 years old and it was a constant problem getting rid of the little brown"dots" that kept appearing on the "leaves"so it has been now sent to plant heaven and I have picked up some new cuttings.
I live in East Anglia and have a Cavapoo and yorkie dog,9 tortoises and a canary and now a greenhouse filling up with cacti.
So life is busy,oh and a husband who always wonders what I will get up to next.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Newby at keeping cacti.

Post by rodsmith »

Welcome to the forum Katie. With all your livestock, will you have time for cacti? :wink:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Katie
Registered Guest

Post by Katie »

Hello Robsmith
Busy yes but housework can wait.
I have lots of questions,read a lot of books etc but there are still things I am not sure about.
The greatest mystery is ,when to sow the seeds? Would I be better waiting until next year or can I sow them now?
I can winter them in a heated conservatory ,and I have heated propagators,
What do I use for the damping down now chinosol is no longer available?
Growing and keeping cacti is a consuming hobby and am looking forward to seeing the little seedlings appearing.
Katie
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Katie wrote:The greatest mystery is ,when to sow the seeds? Would I be better waiting until next year or can I sow them now?
I can winter them in a heated conservatory ,and I have heated propagators,
What do I use for the damping down now chinosol is no longer available?
Growing and keeping cacti is a consuming hobby and am looking forward to seeing the little seedlings appearing.
Katie
Others may disagree, but I would wait till late February/early March before sowing seeds. There have been loads of posts in the past on this subject: see the following threads, for example:

http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... ie#p241562

http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... ie#p236110

http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... ie#p229962
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Sylv
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Sylv »

Hello katie and welcome to the forum.I am sure you will learn lots here,it's full of good,helpful,lovely people.

Sylv.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

Hi Katie and welcome to the forum! I'm an old hand with cacti and succulents (over 35 years!), and grow a lot from seed. I agree with Rod, it really is best to wait until spring, although I know how eager newbies are to get started! By starting in spring, you'll have the whole of the growing season to get seedlings established and give them a better start in life. If you do a search on the forum you'll find the 'baggie' method, which many of us use, and advice on sterilising the compost in a microwave, which helps to keep the nasties away. It will be a trial and error process to begin with, but any successes will help you learn the process. Don't hesitate to ask for more help - we are all happy to advise.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Katie
Registered Guest

Post by Katie »

Thank you for all the welcomes and advice. I will plant the seeds next year.
Katie