Help,I think I have overwatered my cacti.

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Katie
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LUTON

Help,I think I have overwatered my cacti.

Post by Katie »

We in East Anglian have had a few really hot days so on Friday as all my cacti appeared dry I watered them all.Watering until all the water drains out of the bottom as usual and then placed within decorative pots with holes in ,then onto the gravel trays.some are in clay pots and other plastic.
Just checked today and some are very wet when tested with watering spike.The weather has changed and the temp in the greenhouse is 22c with window door and louvre open where it has been reaching 35c plus.
Should I unroot these that are wet and allow to dry out? Or what else can I do?
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Help,I think I have overwatered my cacti.

Post by Phil_SK »

They should be fine unless they're particularly sensitive species - probably not - or very small plants that have recently been potted into overly large pots.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Help,I think I have overwatered my cacti.

Post by rodsmith »

Phil_SK wrote:They should be fine unless they're particularly sensitive species - probably not - or very small plants that have recently been potted into overly large pots.
I agree - assuming the potting medium is gritty and free draining and not pure peat. As the season is getting on I would be careful about further watering. Watch the weather and temperature and be prepared to reduce and then cease watering by late September.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.