Hello from recently flooded Lancaster

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
kenroy
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hello from recently flooded Lancaster

Post by kenroy »

Just thought I would introduce myself as a new member while I still have Internet access - a rare situation since the weekend when severe flooding took out our primary substation leaving us without power for a few days. The city is currently supplied by a number of generators dotted around.
I live in an apartment block on the third floor (no risk of flooding up here) and my small collection of cacti live on my south facing balcony year round in a modified Wilkinsons mini greenhouse (more like a small vertical cold frame actually ). I have replaced the flimsy plastic cover with polycarbonate sheets with the object of keeping them dry rather than warm. As a consequence I keep a few cold hardy specimens like Gymnocalyciums (baldianum, gibbosum, bruchii) and Escobaria (vivipara, missourensis, minima) etc.
Once the weather improves I will take a picture and post it for anyone who might be interested.
Roy, Lancaster, UK
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Hello from recently flooded Lancaster

Post by juster »

Welcome to the Forum Roy, glad that you have not been flooded, but life must be rather difficult at present. I should think that your cacti will do very well, you might like to try some Rebutias as well. Good luck and we look forward to seeing some pictures.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias