Winter home

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
kenroy
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Winter home

Post by kenroy »

Winter home.JPG
Escobaria Missourensis.JPG
As promised in an earlier post I have attached a picture of the winter home for my small collection of cacti. Once the weather improves a bit I will take out some plants and photograph them and post them but in the meantime I just took out my Escobaria missourensis for a picture. This cactus, which would normally fill it's pot in the summer, shrinks right down in the autumn as the daylight hours decrease and temperatures start to fall. This is achieved by losing water to prevent tissue damage in freezing weather. Given the recent weather reports from Texas and New Mexico I can see why this might be necessary.
Roy, Lancaster, UK
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Winter home

Post by juster »

Hi Roy, you have a good set up there, with room for quite a few more plants! Nice Escorbaria, thanks for posting. Hope it is drying out in your area now.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
kenroy
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Winter home

Post by kenroy »

Thanks, yes gradually drying out but seems weeks since we had a full day without rain at some point. This winter has proved a good test for the mini greenhouse both in terms of keeping the collection dry, and withstanding gale force winds (our balcony is south facing on the 3rd floor). Like everyone else looking forward to spring and seeing the cacti wakening up and starting to flower!
Roy, Lancaster, UK