Hello from Nottinghamshire!

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
tralamander
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hello from Nottinghamshire!

Post by tralamander »

Hi, I'm Cait and I'm an arid plants enthusiast based in the Midlands. I grow things indoors and outdoors, and like to see what's hardy - or hardy with minimal protection - in our climate. Therefore of course I gravitate towards Agaves, and that's probably my favourite genus, although I'm a great fan of Aloe, Gasteria and Clivia, so I suppose I identify as an Asparagales fan (bulbs are great too!). I like rainforest cacti a lot too though... and mesembs. Basically I'm crazy about all plants though but ⅔ of my botanical obsession does focus on succulents.
I used a grow light last year to accommodate my collection but now that I have built an outdoor space (and am in the process of building another one), I no longer need it... at least over summer anyway, which is nice, as I do care very much about minimising my impact on the environment. I'm increasingly economical with windowsill space as I grow everything in square pots. But anyway, I'll save all that for a greenhouse tour in the future.
I sell things sometimes and love plant swaps. Always looking to learn and share wherever I can. Looking forward to being a part of this community. :)

Posting photos seems tricky but I'll give it a go... here are a few from my collection...
Albuca spiralis 'Frizzle Sizzle'

Agave collection (well... less than half of it) caught in some late April snow.

First flower on Parodia magnifica.

Agave parrasana, the first Agave I ever tried growing from seed, now probably getting on for 5 years old.

*Gasteria excelsa* and others in bloom on a windowsill.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Hello from Nottinghamshire!

Post by juster »

Hi Cait and welcome to the Forum. You have some nice plants there, Parodia magnifica is one of my favourites. If you want succulents that are fully hardy, you might like to try some Sempervivums - I grow all of these outside for the whole year. Enjoy your plants!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Nice photos Cait. You have an eclectic mix of succulents.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
GregoryBulmer
BCSS Chairman
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Chairman

Post by GregoryBulmer »

Welcome :grin: Great pictures!
Greg
BCSS Chairman
Member since 2012
Cold hardy cacti and slow growers.