Hi from the Netherlands

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Koen
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hi from the Netherlands

Post by Koen »

Hi All,

My name is Koen and I am from the Netherlands. I don't have a big plant collection since I am just starting, but I ended up here because I bought a stephania erecta. At least, that is what it was sold as... But now I am starting to suspect that it is actually a stephania suberosa; anyway, I will start a topic about that later.

By the way, I also have a lophophora williamsii and two pilea peperomioides, but I don't think the latter counts on this forum. And finally, I am looking forward to purchasing a myrtillocactus geometrizans and a euphorbia obesa soon. That's it!

Cheers,
Koen
Last edited by Koen on Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Hi from the Netherlands

Post by Aiko »

With some luck you should be able to find the two desired plants at the Ubink succulent fair in Kudelstaart, tomorrow. They are not hard to find.
Koen
Registered Guest

Post by Koen »

Thanks for the tip Aiko, but maybe some other day. Kudelstaart is a little bit to far off Groningen on a short notice, but I'll keep it in mind!
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

All fairs in the Netherlands are far from Groningen. Late June the fair in Nijmegen might be the most close to you, together with the Kudelstaart and Assendelft fairs.
Koen
Registered Guest

Post by Koen »

Yes, as with most things when you live in Groningen, but that's okay. I'll take a look at the fair in Nijmegen, thanks!
pleun
Registered Guest

Post by pleun »

Hi Koen,
welcome here on this forum from another Dutchmen ;)
Groet Pleun
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Koen wrote:Yes, as with most things when you live in Groningen, but that's okay. I'll take a look at the fair in Nijmegen, thanks!
The average inhabitant of a large country probably thinks: "huh, 100 kilometers isn't all that far?"...
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

It is not far for you - I travelled to UBINK from the UK every year for several years. Also ELK. You don't get a good collection by waiting for plants to become available at your corner shop. The Netherlands has some of the finest C&S nurseries but you have to go out and track them down. Join the society and start networking!

There is a grower named Gerrard Geeling (spelling?) who is based somewhere near Groningen - although I understand he has moved since I last visited him - I guess his nursery would be a good place to start. Also Cactus Oase. Worth a visit just to meet Annie, who is one of Life's characters.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Paul in Essex wrote: There is a grower named Gerrard Geeling (spelling?) who is based somewhere near Groningen - although I understand he has moved since I last visited him - I guess his nursery would be a good place to start.
Gerard is present at most of the fairs in the Netherlands, and at ELK in Belgium
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Try Wiebe on here as he lives in the Netherlands he might be able to point you in the right direction
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/