Hello from Brighton

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Andrew9
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hello from Brighton

Post by Andrew9 »

Hi - I'm a recent addict to succulents which I am mainly growing in pots in my small back yard. I started with a few on a shelf attached to my garden wall but succulents are now invading the patio also! I don't have room for a greenhouse so have bought a small grow shed (see photo) from the garden centre to keep them dry over the winter. Luckily here our winters are mild but not sure how this will work out. I like succulents of all shapes colours and sizes but seem to be mainly drawn to Echeveria at present. I'm also a keen photographer so taking photos of these lovely plants is half the fun. Would also love to make my own pots at some stage.
Cheers, Andrew :smile:
Attachments
Shed for the winter
Shed for the winter
image.jpeg (132.72 KiB) Viewed 3915 times
Succulent shelf!
Succulent shelf!
image.jpeg (222.38 KiB) Viewed 3915 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (206.73 KiB) Viewed 3915 times
My patio back yard
My patio back yard
image.jpeg (243.07 KiB) Viewed 3915 times
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Hello from Brighton

Post by juster »

Hi Andrew and welcome. You have some lovely plants there, especially the Echeverias, which are also favourites of mine. You might not know that there is a Zone 12 show at South Downs Nurseries on 23rd July; I'm sure you would find it interesting and there will be some good plant sales. Enjoy your plants.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Brian »

Hello Andrew & a warm welcome. I like the plants in tins and coloured pots. The star is the gargoyle watching from the wall, it has really made me smile. Why is he not impressed?
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Hi Andrew, as others have said, you have some lovely plants there and I really like your eclectic collection of pots. I admire your desire to make your own pots, I have dabbled there and it is very satisfying to make the right pot for a plant. I might be picky in saying some of your clay pots need a clean from moss etc but you may like them like that. So, go for it, they are your plants and pots.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Andrew9
BCSS Member

Post by Andrew9 »

juster wrote:Hi Andrew and welcome. You have some lovely plants there, especially the Echeverias, which are also favourites of mine. You might not know that there is a Zone 12 show at South Downs Nurseries on 23rd July; I'm sure you would find it interesting and there will be some good plant sales. Enjoy your plants.
Thanks for letting me know about the show next Saturday, wasn't aware and will definitely be going
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CRAWLEY

Post by Geoff Lovell »

Hello Andrew.
Are you aware of the Brighton branch of the BCSS.
http://www.brighton.bcss.org.uk/
Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
Werewolf
BCSS Zone Rep
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Werewolf »

Hi Andrew

Nice to see somebody new from my part of the world. You have some very nice Echeverias.

Among my sins, I am Chairman of Branch. I see Geoff has already posted a link but please feel free to send me a Personal Message and I'll be happy to give you some more details. Basically, we meet on the last Thursday of each month, usually with a speaker but always with plants for sale and plenty of refreshments.

Best wishes,
Graham Evans
Chairman Brighton Branch
Zone 12 Rep.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Hi Andrew, I'm glad you can get to the show next week. I will be there with some of my plants so maybe I shall see you. Best wishes, Jean.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias