Newish member!

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
billclark
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CHESTER & District

Newish member!

Post by billclark »

Hi Guy's

I have been a member of the BCSS for almost 2 years and started collecting after my Brother gave me a few small plants. I found them fascinating - and have been adding more ever since! I have around 120+ plants now, mainly small and quite varied as I love the variances and unusual features. I visited the National Show and ended up with around 20 small but interesting plants to add to the collection. I am now slowly gleaning info about them...

I live in Rettendon, Essex (Near Rayleigh) but as I work several evenings per week I cannot attend the local meetings - much as I would like to. I have met up with Dick Rolfe, the Chelmsford Branch Secretary, and he has been very helpful and encouraging. I also met with some of the Brach members and enjoyed spending an afternoon with them all.

I would like to try growing from seed but all my efforts to date have been disastrous, so anyone local who I can communicate with would be great!

Regards, Bill
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Newish member!

Post by Keith H »

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum sounds like you are starting a nice collection. I have the same problem, I am self employed and can be working anywhere in the South East or Midlands which makes it difficult to attend my local branch meetings.
Perhaps I should have said problems as my two attempts at seed raising have resulted in very poor germination or losses soon after germination. The first year I managed one out of seven species this year I am on three out of ten, fingers crossed for next year.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Spro
BCSS Member

Post by Spro »

Hi bill I'm in Wickford not far from you I also met Richard rolfe at his home recently.
Everything under the sun is in tune but the sun is eclipsed by the moon
billclark
BCSS Member

Post by billclark »

Spro wrote:Hi bill I'm in Wickford not far from you I also met Richard rolfe at his home recently.
I was at Richard's `Tea Party' - so probably met you! My apologies as I didn't pick up peoples names. The Lady who took my contact details hasn't yet been in touch.. I was going to ask her who was the guy I met who only grew his Cacti from seed! Could that be you by any chance? I could do with some advice when I try again...
Spro
BCSS Member

Post by Spro »

I was there with my wife we were the last two to arrive. Bought a few plants and had a good afternoon
Everything under the sun is in tune but the sun is eclipsed by the moon
billclark
BCSS Member

Post by billclark »

Spro wrote:I was there with my wife we were the last two to arrive. Bought a few plants and had a good afternoon
Yes - I remember now! Hope the collecting is going well, regards, Bill