Hello!

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Skribbane
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Hello!

Post by Skribbane »

Hi everyone,

I live in Chesterfield and I'm a new member of the Sheffield branch of BCSS. I've been collecting plants for a few years now. As things tend to go, from a single Morrisons rescue phalaenopsis orchid, I have well over 200 now (database is currently being compiled!). My focus has been on orchids until relatively recently when I started branching out into succulents and now, cacti. Uh-oh :lol:

I've just bought my first house and I'm giddy with excitement for the prospect of finally having... a greenhouse! I'll hopefully be able to update with some pics as the project progresses. For now, here's my little Stapelia variegata, Stinky (my Mum moonlighting as a very able hand model).

A little bit more about me, I think my burgeoning obsession with plants stems from a general academic interest in morphology and classification. I'm a trained physical anthropologist and archaeologist and we just love looking at things and putting things in little pigeonholes (even if it's a horribly reductive way of looking at the great blurred spectrum that is life). I put my training to great use by working at a museum/archaeological site focused on the Palaeolithic period - and occasionally dressing up as a cavewoman.

Hope to meet some new folks at the local meetings. I'll try to avoid showing up draped in furs :razz:

Jen
Attachments
11873766_905404372859579_896873106194624773_n.jpg
Vice-chair Sheffield branch & Internet Committee member. @xericdelights on Instagram. 700 plants later and I still haven't picked a favourite genus!
Sylv
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Hello!

Post by Sylv »

Hi Jen and welcome to the forum,pictures of your greenhouse progress etc will be great to see.You've come to the right place,most of us are obsessed by succulents and or cacti here :)

Sylv.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Welcome to the forum, Jen. Look forward to seeing more of your photos when you get your greenhouse.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Keith H »

Hi Jen, welcome to the forum. I am sure you will enjoy your new greenhouse, my Stapilias have been banished to the greenhouse after my wife spent hours last summer tracking down the dead mouse smell, she was quite sure that cat had left us a present somewhere under the sofa. :)
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
MikeT
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Hi, Jen

Do you know about Sheffield Branch? Details of the programme are available here. There's usually a warm welcome. There's a bonus on October 14, it's our annual branch auction, usually loads of plants for sale, and usually at very low prices - though there are always some plants producing competitive bidding.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525