In need of help with 30 year old cacti

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Marianne
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

In need of help with 30 year old cacti

Post by Marianne »

Hi there

I've inherited a selection of cacti from a relative who died. I have no idea what types they are, and I'm worried they are all dying. I've been watering them once a month since March, and gave them some fertiliser last week.

If anyone can give me any advice on what they are on how to keep them alive, I'd be really grateful. I've attached a selection of photos - focusing on the bits which look like they aren't too happy.

Thanks so much

Marianne
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: In need of help with 30 year old cacti

Post by rodsmith »

These plants mostly look ok, just a bit overgrown and neglected in the past. Unless you desperately want to retain them as they are, I think my inclination would be to cut off a small selection of the healthiest, fattest, growths from each of the plants (as you have done with the tall cactus), allow them cut areas to callous, then root them individually.

It is getting late in the year to root newly cut plants and I think you'd be advised to do all this next spring (April onwards). Good luck, whatever you decide to do. They won't need any watering from now until March, unless you are keeping them indoors when you could water lightly every couple of months.

Most of the plants are Echinopsis species and will have huge flowers when well treated. The plant in the penultimate photo appears to be some sort of stapeliad.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Welcome to the Forum Marianne. Well done for trying to save those plants, Rob has given good advice and I'm sure they will gradually recover and reward you with some beautiful flowers.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Marianne
Branch: None

Post by Marianne »

Thanks so much for your advice. I'll leave them alone until next spring.